1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Andy Murray tearful retirement speech

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Colonel Cardiffi, 11 Jan 2019.

1. lardy

lardy pelanty taker
    Fantasy Football 18/19

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 55 / -9
    Maybe you should have tried it.

2. TDA

TDA slightly clapped out ninja
    ⭐⭐ PLATINUM ⭐⭐ 🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲 🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐

Ratings:
    +8,009 / 253 / -26
    Expect the "Andy Murray Tennis Centres" to follow. Apart from TV work, I don't think he will stray too far from tennis, especially with his mother's obvious influence.

What has troubled me over the years is his stated support for Scottish independence alongside his willingness to play in the Olympics for GB, when the Scots footballers refused to do so. At best he maintains a difficult neutrality.

3. Colonel Cardiffi

Colonel Cardiffi C'mon CITY!
    ⭐⭐ PLATINUM ⭐⭐ 🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ⚽ MODERATOR ⚽ 🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐

Ratings:
    +30,408 / 1,497 / -204

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  4. George&Louis

George&Louis Player of the Month

Ratings:
    +251 / 4 / -1
    I bet there won't be this fuss when Russell Slade retires.:hehe:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Splott Dave

Splott Dave Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆

Ratings:
    +2,531 / 265 / -174
    In the fullness of time Al. All in the fullness of time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. smellons

smellons Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +2,834 / 70 / -4
    Andy Murray. British when he wins Wimbledon, Scottish when he’s knocked out in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  7. Splott Dave

Splott Dave Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆

Ratings:
    +2,531 / 265 / -174
    Welsh when he's on Motorbility.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. smellons

smellons Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +2,834 / 70 / -4
    I can’t help but chuckle at the image of him sat in the hospital surrounded by old biddies arguing about who needs the hip replacement most.

9. lardy

lardy pelanty taker
    Fantasy Football 18/19

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 55 / -9
    What are you referring to here? Which Scottish players?

Football was a different case, even the Scottish Welsh and Northern Irish FAs expressed being against Team GB at some point.

Lots of Scottish Olympians are pro independence. Why single out Murray? You can extend that to loads of countries over the years.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hohoho

Hohoho Wales Call Up
    👥 GTA WINNER 👥

Ratings:
    +445 / 3 / -0
    Yeah its not really a fair comparison TBH. A GB team has always been seen as a legitimate threat to the independence of the home nations in football so there will always be plenty of opposition towards it whereas in Tennis we have always competed under the banner of Great Britain and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future at the very least. Yes Murray has made no secret of the fact he voted yes in the Scottish referendum but he has always been proud to represent GB in the past and it was never going to be a problem for him to return to the GB team, especially as most Davis Cup ties are staged north of the border in Glasgow these days.

As for his impending retirement, its obviously a pity for his career to end in this manner but its been on the cards for a while TBH. He'd already come back from one major surgery in 2014 and to come back from another one was always asking a lot, especially now he's wrong side of 30. His playing style hasn't exactly lent itself well to a long career in the sport either as unlike most of his peers he doesn't really have a 'killer' shot so to speak with which to end points early and consequently he's had to do a lot of grinding at the back of the court over the years. He had a particularly grueling 2016. He played a lot of tennis towards the end of that year in a bid to dethrone Novak Djokovic as world number 1 and never looked the same player after that. He's barely played since losing that marathon semi final to Stan Wawrinka at the French in 2017 and after 20 months of aborted comebacks he's finally accepted defeat it seems. It doesn't seem right that he's going to be the first member of the "big 4" to retire given he's the joint youngest but in a way it sums up his career as he was never quite in the same class as the other 3. He did well to hang with them as long as he did though and will rightly be remembered as one of the best British sportsman of his generation (apart from the snowflakes who still wont forgive him for his tongue in cheek remarks about the Engurlund football team of course:wave:).

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. TDA

Ratings:
    +8,009 / 253 / -26
    The thread was about Murray. I wasn't singling him out. I do feel that there is a certain hypocrisy demonstrated, but not only with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. lardy

lardy pelanty taker
    Fantasy Football 18/19

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 55 / -9
    Which Scottish footballers?

13. TDA

Ratings:
    +8,009 / 253 / -26
    I didn't say any footballer was hypocritical, just that the Scots had refused to play in 2012.

14. lardy

lardy pelanty taker
    Fantasy Football 18/19

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 55 / -9
    And I was asking their names. I was repeating my question from the previous post.

Which ones refused to play in the Olympics because they were so in favour of Scottish independence?

15. Antifa

Antifa Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆

Ratings:
    +2,036 / 55 / -14
    Not forgetting he and his brother were in school where and when the dumblane massacre occurred

Tennis is a great sport and I jumped for joy when he won Wimbledon

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TDA

Ratings:
    +8,009 / 253 / -26
    The names are not known, but so far as Scotland was concerned, there was undoubtedly political meddling involved. FIFA had quite clearly stated that the individual identities of the home nations would not be affected. At the end of the day, England would also have been affected and lost its identity and there is no way that would have happened.

Lifted from Wiki for convenience, the FIFA statement .....

The executive committee confirmed that the participation in the 2012 London Olympic Games of a single team representing Great Britain would not affect the existing individual status of the four British football associations. For the Olympic Games, they have to play in one entity. The ball is now in their turf.

Alex Salmond had previously had his say, at a time when the independence movement was ratcheting pressure up wherever they could.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown stated during the 2008 Olympics that he wanted a British team and would work towards that happening, although he acknowledged that it could affect the autonomy of the Home Nations. First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond then stated his opposition to a British team, arguing that Brown must be "seriously out of touch with Scotland" to support it.

What Salmond said had nothing to do with national football identity.

A compromise was eventually reached between the four associations, whereby a squad of English players only would represent the United Kingdom. The football associations of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales sent a joint letter to FIFA stating that they would not participate, but that they would not object to England participating alone. This agreement was challenged by the BOA, who wanted to select players from all four countries and claimed it would be potentially discriminatory to only select English players. Jim Boyce stated that there is no legal restriction on players being selected by the BOA and the SFA admitted that it would have no legal grounds to prevent Scottish players from participating. It was then confirmed that the FA intended to select players from outside England.

What is known is that seven players subsequently declined the invitation to join the squad. Whereas names or reasons have never been disclosed, it is suspected that these were the Scots who either did so following their own conscience or under pressure from elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Flounced

Flounced Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +398 / 13 / -0
    I too, was happy to see Murray win Wimbledon. I also enjoy his appearances in the crowd for Mock the Week.

18. lardy

lardy pelanty taker
    Fantasy Football 18/19

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 55 / -9
    It's a lovely long well researched reply, but the Scottish referendum wasn't confirmed until late 2013 so I doubt any players refused because of that. The FA thing is much more likely, which I have already mentioned.

There's no reason to call Murray hypocritical for supporting independence AND representing Britain. Thinking Scotland is better off apart doesn't mean you hate Britain. In the same way, voting for Brexit doesn't mean you hate Europe. It just means you think your country can do better.

Would it be hypocritical for someone to vote leave while living in France, for example?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steve R

Steve R Ballon d'Or Winner
    🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐

Ratings:
    +12,062 / 530 / -66
    Sad to see him like that. He's usually so happy and upbeat in his interviews. :coat:

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. TDA

Ratings:
    +8,009 / 253 / -26
    I'm not picking on Andy Murray particularly, but he was the subject of the thread.

We are dual based, having homes in France and Scotland. We decided that we would have a go at living abroad before we were too old to enjoy the experience. We won't be abroad for ever. The fact that we ended up in an EU country is incidental, it could have been the USA or Australia. Home will always be the UK and we pay 80% of our taxes there, with 20% paid in France, by virtue of the double taxation agreement.

The is nothing hypocritical about voting to leave, as we that we have always felt was the way for the UK to go, given our various attachments to the country. The why's and wherefore's have been kicked around in plenty of threads, so no need to go there again.

Anyway, because of our long association with Scotland, I feel that I can recount the underlying feelings and pressures associated with their push for independence. It had been there for many years anyway, but was being well and truly stoked up by Alex Salmond at that time. Yes, this happened before the 2013 decision, but it was all part of the lead up to the forcing of that decision