1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big opportunity for Cardiff City?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by JJBlueDraggon, 3 Dec 2019.

1. JJBlueDraggon

JJBlueDraggon First Team Debut
    Neil Harris No. 1 Fan

Ratings:
    +114 / 3 / -2
    The latest on Swansea City’s academy amid reports it could now be sold - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/situation-swansea-citys-academy-amid-17349642

I don't usually pay much attention to what's going on at Swansea because they are largely irrelevant to me but with them potentially losing their grade 1 academy due to cost cuts maybe this presents a opportunity for Cardiff going forward to stop Wales's best young talents from going to Swansea and to come to Cardiff instead. Especially now that we have finally a manager since Dave Jones who seems to want to give young players a chance.

I am hopeful that we take the long term view and instead of throwing more money on January transfers that Vincent Tan instead puts money into upgrading our academy status. From what I have seen under Harris we could potentially even make playoffs without significant January investment and that a loan or 2 and a free transfer signing might be enough to push us over the line anyway.

• Good Football Post Good Football Post x 4
  2. Colonel Cardiffi

Colonel Cardiffi C'mon CITY!
    ⚽ MODERATOR ⚽ ~LAST MAN STANDING~ ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ ☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘

Ratings:
    +46,201 / 1,856 / -235
    Swansea City insist there are currently no plans to sell their academy set-up at Landore, but admit it is one area of the club under constant financial review.

Reports emerged on Friday night in the national media suggesting the Swans were ready to sell the academy complex in order to raise funds for the January window.

A club source has told WalesOnline that those reports of an imminent sale are wide of the mark, but there are nevertheless questions over its long-term future as the Swans continue to face up to the realities of Premier League relegation.

The reduction in parachute payments has placed an even greater financial burden on the club, with the club's budget set to be hit by around £15m next season.

Chairman Trevor Birch has already questioned the affordability of two training grounds while speaking at a recent fans' forum, but he has not yet made any decision on its long-term future.

Despite previous reports to the contrary, it’s also understood manager Steve Cooper has not been briefed on any possible sale.

[​IMG]

Selling the Category One complex would almost certainly be a deeply unpopular move with supporters, with the current set-up responsible for the development of the likes of Oli McBurnie, Daniel James, Joe Rodon and Connor Roberts in recent years.

A proposed move to the first team complex at Fairwood would certainly leave the academy’s Category One status at risk, but club insiders believe it wouldn’t take too much to bring facilities up to scratch and preserve its elite status.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  3. Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle Ballon d'Or Winner
    ⭐⭐ PLATINUM ⭐⭐ 🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 🏃🏃🏃 500 PAGER 🏃🏃🏃 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +31,548 / 314 / -36
    Where’s all the parachute money gone then? Probably America :hehe:

• Agree Agree x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  4. Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 👥 GTAM WINNER 👥 📞 Cardiff City Master 📞 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +9,840 / 235 / -60
    As much as I dislike the Jacks (although the Wurzels are my personal rival) I don't think this helps Welsh football one bit.

Yes, we've made a mess of all things academy based, but Swansea have brought through plenty of Welsh players over the past ten years or so.

For the sake of Welsh international football, we need all 4 Pyramid clubs to be attracting and then developing Welsh talent if we are to have any chance of qualifying for major tournaments.

The longer they spend over the border, the more likely it is that they'll switch allegiance.

• Good Football Post Good Football Post x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle Ballon d'Or Winner
    ⭐⭐ PLATINUM ⭐⭐ 🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 🏃🏃🏃 500 PAGER 🏃🏃🏃 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +31,548 / 314 / -36
    What’s happened at Wrexham, last season they were in with a chance to return to the league, now they are Bottom of the National League

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  6. Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 👥 GTAM WINNER 👥 📞 Cardiff City Master 📞 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +9,840 / 235 / -60
    I'm gutted about them. They were ploughing on for automatic promotion with the biggest crowds in the league, then Shrewsbury stole their manager (Ex Jack, can't think now) and they've absolutely plummeted this season.

They've got a lovely ground. Would hate to see them relegated further after all the shit they've been through.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stantys tattoos

stantys tattoos never sober
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 😈 Prince of Darkness 😈 🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐 🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺

Ratings:
    +16,414 / 364 / -45
    sam ricketts was the manager you were thinking about :thumbup:

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. BLUE TUESDAY

BLUE TUESDAY Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +441 / 14 / -1
    Same here mate these clubs are a vital part of their communities
    Went there in the early 90s as a teen and
    if memory serves me right they handed over their home end
    Cos of our support that day

I'm sure the same happened at Hereford too the same season I think

• Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 1
  9. Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Ratings:
    +9,840 / 235 / -60
    That's the fucker

10. Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Ratings:
    +9,840 / 235 / -60
    I tried to support the Wrecsam boys when they got to the final at the Millennium Stadium.

Bought tickets for me and the then FIL and they won fair play.

Right in the middle of that shit with their weird English anti-Welsh owner who wanted to sell their ground from under them.

11. BLUE TUESDAY

BLUE TUESDAY Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +441 / 14 / -1
    Yeah having rickets must be fucking awful
    Poor tucker :hehe:

12. TroggBlue

TroggBlue One Of Colonel’s Multis
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ❶ 1 YEAR ❶ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +4,364 / 174 / -34
    Even released an apology statement for their bad performances nice to see though that they beat Eastleigh tonight 2-0

• Interesting Interesting x 2
  13. Jamieccfc

Jamieccfc Ballon d'Or Winner
    🗐 10 PAGER 🗐 👥 Harris Out Brigade 👥

Ratings:
    +5,489 / 159 / -19
    Crazy to think back now but they were the top Welsh club when I was growing up

• Agree Agree x 1