1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change of style for Under 23s, but the usual outcome.

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by the other bob wilson, 12 Aug 2019.

1. Rydogsccfc

Rydogsccfc Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +1,640 / 110 / -19
    I cant wait when hopefully after Warnock a progressive manager comes in and actually welcomes youth into the first team.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  2. the other bob wilson

the other bob wilson Club and Country Superstar

Ratings:
    +712 / 5 / -1
    People defend the club by saying that we don't produce good enough youngsters, but I find it hard to believe that we can really have gone almost a decade without having one local youngster considered to be good enough to play on a regular basis for the first team in games that have something on them. If that is the really the case though, why are senior staff who have been working for the Academy for years still in their jobs when it is so obviously failing in its primary function?

• Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 3
  3. Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐 👥 GTAM WINNER 👥 📞 Cardiff City Master 📞

Ratings:
    +7,880 / 180 / -48
    Don't know if you saw it Bob, but I mentioned this the other day in that the ONE person who completely 'got it' and was turning this around was Craig Bellamy.

And look how that turned out ffs.

It's almost like there is a plan out there somewhere to stop us progressing!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  4. the other bob wilson

Ratings:
    +712 / 5 / -1
    Although someone like Bellamy will inevitably rub a few people up the wrong way, I've been told that the main feeling among the squad when he left was one of sorrow because many of them thought he had progressed their games - I'm not sure how much you can read into this, but, although they ended up winning the title, the team's results did fall away towards the end of the season after Bellamy had left.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
  5. thehumblegringo

thehumblegringo Player of the Month
    🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +298 / 6 / -0
    This is what I believe some of our fan base fail to consider about Warnock being in charge Bob.

It's how disjointed we are as a club. People also seem to think that English football is going through a bit of a fad at the moment with Guardiola, Bielsa etc and it won't be long and we'll be back to seeing coaches like Sam Allardyce and Tony Pulis again.

I believe (as someone who interested in youth development and academy football) that they couldn't be more mistaken.

I heard an interview recently by Stuart Webber (I recommend any interview you can get by this guy and his insights into running a modern football club on YouTube etc) and he said that Man City loaned Patrick Roberts to Norwich for a very low fee as they trusted them to develop the player.

I wonder if we would be afforded the same trust? I don't that question requires answering!

Then there's the case of Bobby Reid. I know he's considered a "rat" by large sections of our fan base but I can tell you now even as someone who has supported Cardiff for 30+ years, if Bobby Reid was my son I'd be saying get out of there asap!

The Warnock factor will affect the development of our youth ( as you allude to in your blog) , in being trusted to loan exciting youngsters from other club and also in attracting players of a certain calibre signing for us in the first place.

• Good Football Post Good Football Post x 3
  6. the other bob wilson

Ratings:
    +712 / 5 / -1
    Good post Gringo. For me, it's as plain as the nose on your face that if a club has got a reputation for playing an old fashioned, attritional, power based, percentage game with a great reliance on attacking set piece situations, then they are going to struggle to recruit loan or permanent players from the top clubs.

If you throw in the fact that this club has not brought through a single player who came up through the ranks to become a first team regular in close to a decade and has a current "Young Player of the Year" award winner with grey hair, you also have an outfit that will mark it out as not being a place where young players prosper. This must surely have the knock on effect of sending the best young talent in the area off to look elsewhere for the place they believe will give them the best chance of "making it" in the pro game.

City are in real need of some joined up thinking in terms of recruitment, development and an approach which reflects modern day football philosophy and the longer things are left to fester, the harder it will be to put things right once Neil Warnock leaves.

• Good Football Post Good Football Post x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐 👥 GTAM WINNER 👥 📞 Cardiff City Master 📞

Ratings:
    +7,880 / 180 / -48
    Osian Roberts would be perfect for all of the above...

• Interesting Interesting x 1