1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you reckon you could become an expert by watching Youtube

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Joecity, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Joecity

Joecity Ballon d'Or Winner
    ***GOLD MEMBER*** PICKEM World Cup 1st

Ratings:
    +10,943 / 148 / -25
    Tutorials on Youtube. Seeing the guitar thread earlier made me think. Could you get really good at something by just watching Youtube and following the tutorials. For instance I need to put gates on some decking and it looks easy enough to do. Cooking as well. Some of the Youtube videos make it easy for people who need some help.
    Has anybody mastered anything or built anything good after watching Youtube? Learned the guitar or something? Do you reckon it's possible to even become the best in the world at something by just using Youtube and the internet for research?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

2. Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter RIP Dave

Ratings:
    +7,753 / 340 / -45
    Simple answer - No.

Otherwise Nugent would be a sex monster by now.

• Funny Funny x 4
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

3. Barry Shitpeas

Barry Shitpeas Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 26 / -5
    Oh my god. One of the worst things about the internet is people who think they are experts and better at my job than I am because they’ve been on bastard you tube or, even worse, bastard mumsnet. Bastards.

• Funny Funny x 3

4. Joecity

Ratings:
    +10,943 / 148 / -25
    Yeah but for simple things it's good surely. Like Carpentry or fitting laboratory's in Schools.

• Funny Funny x 3

5. adz-a32

adz-a32 GRAMMY WINNER
    ***GOLD MEMBER*** PICKEM World Cup 3rd

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 265 / -43
    I do find that YouTube helps with cramming for exams and I prefer it to some lecturers

• Interesting Interesting x 1

6. Joecity

Ratings:
    +10,943 / 148 / -25

7. Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle Ballon d'Or Winner
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +6,266 / 119 / -20
    DF0AB22C-8C2A-464B-B89C-0EFAB01ACA01.jpeg

I learnt to build these

• Funny Funny x 3

8. Mrs Steve R

Mrs Steve R Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +6,129 / 507 / -35
    When I was learning to mix I watched quite a few vids on pitch control and beat matching as I was struggling with it, none of them really helped until I watched a stupid vid some guy did with little plastic cars on the turntables and he explained how to get the two cars at the same speed, suddenly it all made sense and I picked it up straight away :music: I guess it depends on the teacher :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1

9. kiffa

kiffa Wipes sitting down
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +3,279 / 111 / -60
    Plenty of street dancers are fully you tube taught

100% yes

• Like Like x 1

10. PrimevalPete

PrimevalPete Academy Trialist

Ratings:
    +56 / 5 / -0
    My recent experience:
    I want to start building guitars on a budget. Among my gear I have a router, a spare jig saw and a circular saw and decided I wanted to make a bench which could be used as a three-in-one piece of equipment utilising all three devices from underneath. I checked out several YouTube videos on the subject, making notes of all the tips given, until I had a good idea of what was involved and how to avoid the dangers of kick-back.
    It soon became obvious that I didn't have the space for a 3-in-1 bench and decided to make one base and three separate tops (one with the circular saw; one with the jig saw, one with the router) which I could slot over the top of the base in seconds. The base is very easy to move and the three tops take up only a little storage room.
    It works!
    I am an average D-I-Yselfer and everything I did was distilled from YouTube - albeit with a tweak. If I wasn't sure about something, I did a trial run - and let the guys doing the filming make the mistakes. The only cost was the wood and consumables like importing extra long jig saw blades.
    Not saying I'm good - but I've made what I wanted, thanks to YouTube vids.

• Like Like x 3

11. Nugent

Nugent Conservative
    ***GOLD MEMBER*** PICKEM 17/18 - 2nd Place

Ratings:
    +6,099 / 946 / -166
    I've learnt how to train a hamster and Harris hawks on you tube

• Funny Funny x 1