1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football academies

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Glos Blue, 11 Jul 2019.

1. Glos Blue

Glos Blue Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 PICKEM 17/18 - 3rd Place

Ratings:
    +3,347 / 64 / -14
    Anyone on here have any experience with their kids playing in an academy with a professional club?

My lad is 9 and was playing in a tournament on Sunday. I was approached by two scouts; one of which was from an independent football academy based locally and the other from a Championship team academy.

I’ve heard some horror stories about the ruthlessness of the whole system and how expensive it can be as well.

Any advice appreciated!

2. TroggBlue

TroggBlue 3 Lives on L.M.S
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +3,115 / 129 / -33
    I’ve played for academies and from what my dad has told me it’s definitely not cheap but the coaching I’ve received has made me a far better player than what I already was so it is great on the ability development side of things, not sure about the financial side tho

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  3. Malarkey

Malarkey Ballon d'Or Winner
    ⭐⭐ PLATINUM ⭐⭐

Ratings:
    +3,334 / 40 / -20
    The independant one sounds a biy iffy to me. My , now 16 year old (so It was a few years ago and things might have changed, hopefully) was picked up by a Championship acadamy at the same age. They encouraged us to buy all the right gear. Not cheap. Obviously me and the boy thought they must really rate him. Next big thing:hehe:. Seemed though that it was a scatter gun appraoch. Soak up all the kids with a bit of talent, then weadle them out without a thought for the kids feelings. If you go into it (and more importantly your kid) with the thought that it's a very, very, very longshot then go for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  4. ViewFromAfar

ViewFromAfar Club and Country Superstar

Ratings:
    +1,005 / 4 / -0
    As Trogg has already said...good for bringing on ability but can be expensive. Time consuming depending on location of training in relation to where you live, at 9 obviously mum and dad's taxi I would assume.
    In my experience my lad was twice a week training in addition to local team training...but with far more emphasis on being comfortable on the ball & positional coaching rather than competitive games.
    Done in 6 week "blocks" payable up front, a while ago but about £70 I think, and the theory was you're invited to the next block if you've performed ok in the current 6 weeks (after 1st 6 weeks assessment sheet provided with strengths / weaknesses to work on for 2nd 6 weeks and so on).
    That was the format in my/my lads experience with both swansea and cardiff affiliated acadamies.
    Additional Costs - any Tour(s) arranged. e.g. Easter Tournament in Holland.

Good for them to train with boys other than their local team..BUT..can sometimes be too much football that they lose the spark/interest.

Good luck with your son..:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ViewFromAfar

ViewFromAfar Club and Country Superstar

Ratings:
    +1,005 / 4 / -0
    Totally agree there was a lot of that...and quite a few p'd off parents - especially when you suss out there's a degree of favouritism when a competitive match comes around - depending on the local team you play for.

6. Whitts Left Peg

Whitts Left Peg Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐

Ratings:
    +5,501 / 272 / -42
    Fella I used to work with who was a City fan was delighted when his kid got “scouted” by City’s academy.

He soon found out he was one of hundreds of kids and he had to buy all the kit, training kit.etc

It’s like they try and get anyone who is half decent into the academies as early as they can just so they don’t miss out on the 1 kid in 500 who might have a chance of making it as a pro.

Personally I think they’ve killed local junior football and the enjoyment kids get playing 11 a side against your bitter local rivals but I’m old fashioned in that respect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 1
  7. TroggBlue

Ratings:
    +3,115 / 129 / -33
    If I was you I’d just warn him to not be disheartened by anything that goes on that he doesn’t like, coaches not picking him from time to time etc. Wish you and your son all the best tho

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  8. Colonel Cardiffi

Colonel Cardiffi C'mon CITY!
    ⭐⭐ PLATINUM ⭐⭐ 🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ⚽ MODERATOR ⚽ 🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐

Ratings:
    +32,497 / 1,538 / -207
    On an unrelated note, your bit about the kids having to buy all the gear reminded me of something that happened at my daughter's school a couple of months ago.

We had a letter home from school one day saying a short piece my daughter had written had been specially selected for inclusion in some sort of book full of short stories from talented kids from all over Wales that was going to be published.

Now my daughter is only in her first year of high school but she is a good writer and has been an avid reader throughout her junior school years and when I read her short story I could see why it was chosen and was very proud and pleased for her.

Then we discovered that about half the kids in all the participating schools in Wales that wrote a short story were being included in the book.

Basically the whole scheme was a ruse to sell proud parents a bloody book that their own kids had written and the school was just in on the scam.

All that talk about her being specially selected was just sales patter, them blowing smoke up our arses in order to make their sale.

Still buying the book but yet another piece of my faith in humanity was chipped away that day.

• Like Like x 4
  9. TH63

TH63 How I wish you were here.
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ⚽ MODERATOR ⚽ PICKEM 18/19 - 1st Place PICKEM World Cup 2nd

Ratings:
    +15,149 / 523 / -117
    When I was eight, I had a phone call from Jimmy Scoular inviting me for a trial down the city.

Except it wasn’t Jimmy Scotland, it was my uncle.

The bastard.

Almost fifty years on and I still remember the crushing disappointment.

• Funny Funny x 8
  10. Glos Blue

Ratings:
    +3,347 / 64 / -14
    Thanks for all the advice guys, we’ll probably go down to see what it’s all about but I’ll make sure he doesn’t get his hopes up though.

Randomly, it was a City scout who spoke to us. Unusual, as it was a tournament in the centre of Gloucester, normally it’s Cheltenham Town or WBA who poach the kids from around here. I was a bit dubious to begin with as I thought it was a bit of a coincidence that a City scout would be there and I was wearing my City shirt, so thought he may have been pulling a fast one. I spoke to the tournament organisers who said that he was genuine and was visiting friends in the area so popped over to have a look and was impressed with my lad, so stayed and watched all his games.

Anyway, he’s coming up to the farm on Sunday to have a chat with us and tell us what it’s all about.

He’s either genuinely a scout or a massive nonce who is going to a hell of a lot of effort!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Colonel Cardiffi

Ratings:
    +32,497 / 1,538 / -207
    Well I hope it's the former and in a few years your lad will be the 30 goal a season striker we've been looking for :aya::thumbup:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Glos Blue

Ratings:
    +3,347 / 64 / -14
    Thanks, but I doubt it... he’s a goalkeeper!

• Funny Funny x 8
  13. TroggBlue

Ratings:
    +3,115 / 129 / -33
    kurnel just gto muged of their

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Colonel Cardiffi

Ratings:
    +32,497 / 1,538 / -207
    Wow, a 30 goal a season goalie, that's mad!:warnock:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. adz-a32

adz-a32 GRAMMY WINNER
    PICKEM World Cup 3rd

Ratings:
    +2,898 / 375 / -75
    Young lad making the history books

16. Glos Blue

Ratings:
    +3,347 / 64 / -14
    He did score twice this season though. One headed from a corner in the last two mins of a cup game and the other from kicking it out of his goal and it bounced past the opposition defence and keeper.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. TroggBlue

Ratings:
    +3,115 / 129 / -33
    Fucking show off. :hehe:

18. Glos Blue

Ratings:
    +3,347 / 64 / -14
    He celebrated the second one by running the length of the pitch, sliding on his knees Ronaldo style, whilst pointing to the back of his shirt to a crowd of about 3 supporters and a dog. You’d have thought he’d won the FA cup, little bugger.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Colonel Cardiffi

Ratings:
    +32,497 / 1,538 / -207
    I've seen the knee-slide go wrong for so many players that I'd never attempt it myself. :hehe:

20. Glos Blue

Ratings:
    +3,347 / 64 / -14
    Yeah, I always cringe when I see them. I’d never stand up again with my fucked old knees.

• Funny Funny x 1