1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good news for the Welsh language

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Colonel Cardiffi, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Colonel Cardiffi

Colonel Cardiffi C'mon CITY!

Ratings:
    +17,656 / 1,148 / -171

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

2. Goslow

Goslow Ich bin ein fotze
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +3,430 / 156 / -51
    image.gif

• Funny Funny x 9
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

3. Welshineire

Welshineire Club and Country Superstar

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

4. Steve R

Steve R Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +7,580 / 423 / -46

5. Splott Dave

Splott Dave Ballon d'Or Winner
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,930 / 184 / -138
    Now stop it. God loves a trier. 11,000 people were asked questions about their varying degrees ability with the Welsh language. The interviewers were that confident in the response that they chose to ask all 11,000 interviewees in English.

• Interesting Interesting x 1

6. Colonel Cardiffi

Ratings:
    +17,656 / 1,148 / -171

• Love it! Love it! x 2

7. TH63

TH63 You are always close to me
    MODERATOR PICKEM World Cup 2nd

Ratings:
    +8,457 / 344 / -100
    Even better!

Ask 11,000 welsh speakers the same question and you’d get 100% not 86%

In this case they asked 11,000 random people, who, according to you, probably don’t speak a word of Welsh, and the vast majority of them think Welsh is important.

Great news, and I’m sure you’ll share my delight that they posed the question in a language that all could understand therefore ensuring a fair and impartial response.

Truly a great day for democracy.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 1

8. TH63

Ratings:
    +8,457 / 344 / -100
    Yay! My first gold post!

Shame it had to come from the forum owner rather than one of you fucking ingrates, but beggars can’t be choosers :fedup:

• Funny Funny x 4

9. Vimto

Vimto Fruity
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +2,295 / 27 / -45
    Coc oen.

• Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 1

10. Splott Dave

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,930 / 184 / -138
    People are calling out for a truly independent sampling, rather than this skimpy, erratic, non-scientific way of going about it.

We don't know what toxic nationalist dangers lie beneath the surface, or why a so-called survey about Welsh had to be conducted in an alien language which few real Welsh speakers would understand. Even if they understood the basics of the spoken word, many would not necessarily have the same ability in reading or writing, to be able to understand or respond to the survey properly.

I think that it is discriminatory to use a language (English) which many would have difficulty with. Any survey designed to find out about usage and fluency has to be conducted 100% in that language, in order that the results of it would be scientifically valid.

Who or why would anyone devise a survey to establish what percentage of a population speak English, for example, in China, Russia, or Japan and go about by conducting the whole survey in English? It would be absurd.

The survey would be conducted in the native language of those countries, using interviews, questionnaires, and written replies in the native language of those countries.

The surveys in Wales have completely ignored the use of the Welsh national language in order to arrive at a sampling which is statistically meaningful.

Why won't the Welsh government think again about this bogus survey, realise the mistake and carry it out properly in the language of us, the people of Wales...

• WRENCH OF SHIT WRENCH OF SHIT x 1
    • Mare Mare x 1

11. Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter RIP Dave

Ratings:
    +7,822 / 343 / -46
    I don’t know about anyone else but toxic nationalist dangers keep me awake at night.

• Funny Funny x 2

12. LordKenwyne

LordKenwyne Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +356 / 15 / -3
    Dave you're a nationalist.

A union with the old empire next to us..... for brexit....

And most welsh people in favour of independence want a union, as you do, but with the EU.

Contradictions all day every day.

You over use the word nationalist so much it is a waste of time now. Meaningless.

• Like Like x 1

13. Goslow

Goslow Ich bin ein fotze
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +3,430 / 156 / -51
    Never in the field of internet conflict have so many words been used to say so little.
    Winston S. Churchill.

• Funny Funny x 4

14. Colonel Cardiffi

Ratings:
    +17,656 / 1,148 / -171
    If SD writes a post more than one or two sentences long you can rest assured that it's going to be pretty much bullshit from start to finish. I don't even read them any more.

• Like Like x 2

15. LordKenwyne

LordKenwyne Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +356 / 15 / -3
    That'd probably be a good idea!.

But I mean really, " toxic nationalist dangers " of welsh people considering speaking welsh.

We're talking about Pete and John down the road not the IRA.

• Like Like x 2

16. Splott Dave

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,930 / 184 / -138
    I'm surprised at you Colonel. You loudly proclaim these unqualified statements..."86% believe the Welsh language is something to be proud of and 67% thought more effort needed to be put into supporting the language"...yet there's no mention that the surveys should have been conducted 100% in Welsh. If people truly backed these statements, they would be demanding, not asking, for any such survey to be conducted entirely in Welsh.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • WRENCH OF SHIT WRENCH OF SHIT x 1

17. Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter RIP Dave

Ratings:
    +7,822 / 343 / -46
    You may scoff but I remember a few years back I started a beginners course in Welsh at my local college.

Al went well until we went on a day trip to llandewi brefi and were forced to pledge allegiance to Meibion Glyndwr, watch Ar Byd A Bedwar and partake in some cottage burning before we were allowed to leave.

Who knows when toxic nationalist dangers will strike next?

Stay safe pobbles.

• Funny Funny x 4

18. Colonel Cardiffi

Ratings:
    +17,656 / 1,148 / -171
    Ah right, OK then. Lets stamp the language out then.

19. Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter RIP Dave

Ratings:
    +7,822 / 343 / -46
    Along with Palestine.

• Funny Funny x 3

20. TH63

Ratings:
    +8,457 / 344 / -100
    1. “Skimpy, erratic, non-scientific”
    This is the link to the full THIRTY EIGHT page report https://gov.wales/docs/statistics/2018/181010-national-survey-wales-2017-18-welsh-language-en.pdf

2. Conducted in an “alien” language few welsh speakers would understand.
    Two points, as I suspect you know, ALL native welsh speakers, also speak English.
    Would you have them conduct it solely in Welsh, thus alienating the majority of Wales and therefore not being representative of everyone in Wales?
    In any case, the Welsh Language act would’ve dictated that the survey be published in both languages to comply with the law.

3. Whether you like it or not, our language belongs to native welsh speakers, learners, and those who feel the same as you. Your views, had you been surveyed, would be just as valid as anyone else’s therefore it is only right that you would be able to understand the questions.

One interesting little stat from the 38 page report reads “62% of those who couldn’t speak Welsh would like to be able to speak it,”

Clearly you’re in the 38%.

A large minority.

But still a minority.

So, as brexiteers like to say “ya lost, deal with it” :wave:

• Like Like x 2