1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having a laugh.

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Nugent, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Nugent

Nugent Poster of the year 2018
    ***GOLD MEMBER*** PICKEM 17/18 - 2nd Place

Ratings:
    +5,476 / 861 / -145
    "I’ve always wanted people to know they can laugh at bad things, without being bad people. I think it’s my upbringing. I grew up… in poverty, with nothing. But the point was to pay your way then have a laugh.

It was my older brother, Bob, it was him who I first saw making these dark jokes, right in the bad situation, as things were happening. People were laughing. I realized, “He’s healing them.” That’s what comedy’s for, what humor’s for. It gets us over bad stuff.

Typical Bob story. He once spent an hour in the pound shop in Hayling Island, just asking the cashier how much everything was. Just to see if he could break this poor man’s will. Bob was the first person I saw answer back to authority.
    The first authority you come across are your parents. And he’d get in trouble. He got sent to bed. But I thought he’d won the argument. And he’d tease my mum. My mum was a typical working-class woman.

Bob would send her postcards that just read, “Is that pedophile postman still reading your mail?” And she’d take it, she’d go in, and she’d be horrified. She’d call Bob. “He saw it this time, you must stop doing that!”

Even at her funeral… My mum died first, and my dad carried on for a year or so, just drinking beer, then he went.
    At Mum’s funeral, we had different duties. I did catering and flowers. Bob went to see the local vicar. That was a mistake.

We’d never been to church, he didn’t know us, we didn’t know him. So, he said to Bob, “Tell me about your mum, so I can say a few words.” Bob saw that as an opportunity, So, Bob, with a straight face, said, “Well, she was a keen racist.” The vicar went, “I can’t say that.” Bob said, “Okay, put she liked gardening.”
    He was trying to get the vicar to say something to make us laugh in church. He didn’t warn us. And he did get something by the vicar...

So we’re called Ricky, Robert, Marsha and Larry. Now, Larry is the oldest, in his seventies. Born in the war. I always thought he was the sensible one. First born, weight of the world on his shoulders. My mum said, when he was a teenager, he got a job and gave her the money to help out. He’s a stand-up guy, Larry.
    So, Bob… gives the vicar the wrong name. Didn’t warn us. We’re all in church. Start of the funeral, we’re all there. Packed out. The coffin comes down. Guided by the vicar. The vicar goes to his pulpit. All confident, with his little notes,
    And he goes… Eva leaves behind four loving children. Ricky. Robert. Marsha. And BARRY. And… we snort like that, right? Bob’s going… Everyone realizes. We’re all laughing. We see Larry go… All right. And the church is like… Every time we thought of it, we’d see Larry go… Like that.

Then we’d just start giggling, just fits of fucking giggles, And the vicar’s thinking, “What have I said?” Right? He’d put in a few things the vicar didn’t know that set us off again. Things that were just lies, or slightly wrong.

My nieces and nephews started crying. I’d come prepared with a pack of tissues. They’d take one and hand it on. Before the funeral, I’d taken the tissues out, written on them, folded them back and put them in. And each tissue said, “Snivelling fucking bitch.” And they’re laughing. So it was like a madhouse, right?
    Everything the vicar said or did, we all started fucking laughing! And you could see the vicar was visibly shook a little bit. He ended the funeral, and he made a beeline for me and Bob. He said, “Sorry, was that okay?” Me and Bob went, “Fucking brilliant, mate. It was fucking brilliant.”

That’s what I mean. We’re all gonna die, so we should have a laugh. If you can laugh in the face of adversity, you’re bullet-proof.

Me and my brother, Bob, had one simple rule, and that was if you think of something funny, you’ve got to say it. Win, lose or draw. It might go well… it might go badly. But you’ve gotta say it."

Ricky Gervais

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

2. Barry Shitpeas

Barry Shitpeas Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +2,142 / 23 / -4
    There’s gallows humour, laughing in the face of adversity. And then there’s posting unfunny attention seeking jokes.

• Agree Agree x 2

3. Nugent

Ratings:
    +5,476 / 861 / -145
    Agree. This isn't a post about what's happened this morning, it's just a fun post about having a good outlook on life.

I don't want this thread to fill up with negative stuff .
    Even if the Leicester fans read this post , perhaps it might help some of them smile around this difficult time.

It's a great gig by Ricky gervais on netflix, I've never laughed so much.

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

4. Mad Al

Mad Al Ballon d'Or Winner
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +4,134 / 48 / -2
    My old man and me always laughed and joked together. When he was dying in hospital he asked us to get him one of those mp3 players and put some tidy music on it for him to listen to in his last days. Track 1, the verve, the drugs don't work, track 2, cutting crew, died in your arms tonight, track 3, blue oyster cult, don't fear the reaper, and so on. "Yer bastard", he laughed, even in your darkest moments, humour helps you through it I think.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 1

5. Nugent

Ratings:
    +5,476 / 861 / -145
    Humour does help mate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

6. steve davies

steve davies Club and Country Superstar

Ratings:
    +2,062 / 36 / -8

Nuge

the quote from ricky gervais you used in the deleted thread was about religion and I am on the same page with him where that is concerned. The post that Phil put up was ill timed and insensitive considering its less than a week after the event and the fact that we are their next opponents there are bound to be lots of people a lot of whom could be Leicester fans reading Cardiff city boards to see what our reaction and responses are going to be.
    that was the second of two insensitive posts and if there was to be a shit storm it would land at the colonels door so posters should take that into consideration in my opinion.
    Back in 1974 any older poster will remember this I got arrested at ashton gate for disorderly conduct as city fans young and old rioted over Bristol city singing derogatory songs over the aberfan disaster which as you know had happened 8 years earlier. Lincoln hallinan who at the time was the first stipendary magistrate to start jailing hooligans and in particular city fans attended that game and swore to defend everyone of the 100 plus fans who were arrested and so the charges were dropped.
    a few years later I travelled with mair Daniels and her coaches to play WBA. after the game three coaches stayed behind for a function in their social club and all things were going well until the comedian made an inappropriate joke about the same disaster and bearing in mind one of the lads on the coach was from aberfan and had lost his little sister in that disaster carnage ensued and once again a load of us were arrested and after an investigation as to why we had behaved in that manner once again the charges were dropped.
    my point is nuge there is no specified time limit on feeling emotion and outrage at specific disasters. I dident consider myself to be a snowflake or a person who dident possess a sense of humour just because I couldent see the funny side of a joke some 11 years on from a terrible disaster that affects lives to this day.
    let me put another spin on it lets go back to when Sam was revered by everybody at the club if this same incident had happened to sam and we went on a Leicester board and saw the insensitive material posted about the accisent before his funeral and prior to us playing them in the next game we all know what the outcome would be.
    There is a time and a place for everything nuge and posts like that two days before the game is wrong in my opinion and if people consider me to be some sort of moral policeman I can live with that because I believe it says more for my character than theirs

• Like Like x 7
    • Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1

7. Glos Blue

Glos Blue Turkey fucker
    ***GOLD MEMBER*** PICKEM 17/18 - 3rd Place

Ratings:
    +1,247 / 17 / -9
    I’ve been a squaddie and a paramedic; without a dark sense off humour you literally wouldn’t survive. You need to be able to make light of fucking horrific events, otherwise you’ll go mad. It’s a way of dehumanising tragedy, it makes it less real, it stops it being embedded in your brain.

• Like Like x 2

8. Mad Al

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +4,134 / 48 / -2
    It does, ta for the gold medal thing mate :thumbup:

9. TH63

TH63 You are always close to me
    ***GOLD MEMBER*** MODERATOR PICKEM World Cup 2nd

Ratings:
    +7,632 / 315 / -96
    Ask a Leicester fan or the families of the deceased right now if one of those stupid jokes helps them. Be sure to let us know which ward you end up in so we can send flowers and grapes.

My take is that @steve davies is spot on.

There's a time and place for dark humour. This is neither.

Right now, City fans are being praised (for once) nationwide for their reactions to the tragedy. It only takes one attention seeking muppet to repost an unfunny and/or insenstive "joke" to spoil that.

• Like Like x 1

10. Mad Al

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +4,134 / 48 / -2
    What stupid jokes? am I missing something here?

11. TH63

Ratings:
    +7,632 / 315 / -96
    Yes.

• Funny Funny x 1

12. Nugent

Ratings:
    +5,476 / 861 / -145
    Actually the quote is from his Netflix gig humanity, it is about how the human race is going.

Now jokes about Aberfan is ridiculous, because the context of the joke is ridiculous.

Here's another quote I found from his show...

"I’m this self-confessed Twitter police.
    I try and explain to someone every day what freedom of speech means, particularly in the context of comedy, and in the context of a joke.
    A joke about a bad thing isn’t as bad as the bad thing, or necessarily condoning the bad thing. It could be anti the bad thing. It depends on the actual joke.

And this woman said… “You should never make jokes about food allergies.” I should have left it, right? I sent back, “I make jokes about AIDS, cancer, famine, and the Holocaust. And you’re telling me I should never joke about food allergies?” She sent back, “Yes, but the Holocaust didn’t kill children.” "

There's jokes about last week going around on Facebook, as I'm sure there would have been if the internet was around during Hillsborough, the war or the titanic sinking. It'll never stop.

Going back to football, I remember going to a fa cup game where we played Slough away in an fa cup fixture and it was just after Matthew Hardings crash.
    Knowing there were Chelsea in the ground the Cardiff fans sang about it and it all kicked off.
    How times change.

The Leicester game will be well observed now.

13. lardy

lardy pelanty taker

Ratings:
    +1,626 / 38 / -6
    "How times change.

The Leicester game will be well observed now."

Fucking good.

• Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1

14. Dave

Dave Club and Country Superstar

Ratings:
    +467 / 246 / -148
    Pleased to see that thread was pulled. In very, very poor taste at the present time. I don't think that makes me a snow flake or part of the morality police. Just what I think.

• WRENCH OF SHIT WRENCH OF SHIT x 1

15. TH63

Ratings:
    +7,632 / 315 / -96
    And it wasn't me that pulled it :hehe: - in before @Eat Y'self Fitter

16. Eat Y'self Fitter

Eat Y'self Fitter **FORUM PRESIDENT**
    ***GOLD MEMBER*** PICKEM 17/18 - 1st Place

Ratings:
    +5,150 / 233 / -37
    :sherlock:

17. Mrs Steve R

Mrs Steve R Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +5,470 / 470 / -34
    Grass :hehe:Yes it was me, it was reported more than once and for many of the reasons mentioned above I decided to get rid.

18. Welshineire

Welshineire Club and Country Superstar

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2
    Humour is a wonderful thing, and being able to make people laugh is a gift. It’s a pity that that gift doesn’t necessarily include the ability to judge the time, place and company.

• Like Like x 1

19. TH63

Ratings:
    +7,632 / 315 / -96
    :oohh:

It's not like I named names :hehe:

• Funny Funny x 1

20. Mrs Steve R

Mrs Steve R Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings: