1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Karma?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Splott Dave, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Splott Dave

Splott Dave Ballon d'Or Winner
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,603 / 125 / -95
    I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer. However if you believe that songwriters and singers should be locked up, simply for causing offence to some, then we're a long way down the road to losing freedom of speech, than what I thought.

2. Colonel Cardiffi

Colonel Cardiffi C'mon CITY!

Ratings:
    +14,617 / 1,067 / -143
    I wonder if your inability to provide a straight answer is genetic or psychological?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

3. Nugent

Nugent Poster of the year 2018
    ***GOLD MEMBER*** PICKEM 17/18 - 2nd Place

Ratings:
    +5,105 / 814 / -128
    Release the memo

• Funny Funny x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

4. Welshineire

Welshineire Club and Country Superstar

Ratings:
    +458 / 5 / -2
    im not entirely sure that I have said that, have I? However, a line surely has to be drawn somewhere. So where would you draw that line?

5. Welshineire

Ratings:
    +458 / 5 / -2
    Freedom of speech is a wonderful concept until someone says something that you don’t want to hear.

• Funny Funny x 1

6. Goslow

Goslow Ich bin ein fotze
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +2,759 / 137 / -43
    He never used to be but I believe he's now upgraded.

• Funny Funny x 2

7. Splott Dave

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,603 / 125 / -95
    Do you really want to start a debate on the Holocaust Colonel? I know some may consider it a sign of the maturing nature of the forum, but then again some may not.

As regards your cries for a straight answer you appear to be creating the same political threads over and over again. The last one citing one of the members of the Furry Animals, who rambled on about Labour, Devolution, etc, etc.

So we end up with a nationalist political rant, rather than a focused argument based on possible environmental concerns.

"This is yet another example of Welsh Labour`s incompetence, an irresponsible government, hell bent on leaving a legacy of absolute destruction. Today is testament to 20 years of failings.

Their contempt, reinforced by the systematic neglect by successive governments in London, takes the Welsh people for granted and shows that devolution as it stands does not work for Wales."

Suppose that enough people agree with the SFA member and come to the conclusion that he's right, devolution is not working, so let's scrap it and return to having a Welsh Office? Let's reverse all of the attempts at creeping social engineering in Wales and accept that devolution is a failure. We could then have a referendum on Devexit for Wales.

Do you see where this is going? There could be unintended consequences from trying to make political capital from what is after all, a possible environmental concern, rather than a political one.

You had an answer to your question some threads ago. I am as opposed to Welsh Nationalism, as you are for it. In my case it could be the narrow-minded exclusivity, the racist overtones, the background of fascist sympathies and historical tendencies towards destroying things. Then again it could just be a combination of all of them.

8. Splott Dave

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,603 / 125 / -95
    No, It's not a 'wonderful concept'! It's not some sort of nice to have, in an ideal world. it's a right, enshrined under Magna Carta.

9. Mrs Steve R

Mrs Steve R Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +4,908 / 457 / -33
    Edit: Sorry, I thought this was the curry thread. :coat:

• Funny Funny x 7

10. Welshineire

Ratings:
    +458 / 5 / -2
    Written in the Magna Carta it maybe, but if you believe we are all free to say and write what we want then you sir are living in a different world to me. Do you really believe this?

11. Splott Dave

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,603 / 125 / -95
    Well you are half right. It's beginning to heat up...

:hehe:

• Funny Funny x 1

12. Splott Dave

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,603 / 125 / -95
    What you believe or what I believe is irrelevant.

Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights provides the right to freedom of expression and information, subject to certain restrictions that are "in accordance with law" and "necessary in a democratic society". This right includes the freedom to hold opinions, and to receive and impart information and ideas.

13. Welshineire

Ratings:
    +458 / 5 / -2
    So there are “certain restrictions” :sherlock:

14. Splott Dave

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,603 / 125 / -95
    There are certain restrictions on driving a car at 100 mph after consuming a bottle of Johnie Walker.

But freedom of expression, freedom of thought, along with freedom of speech are enshrined under European Law.

15. Splott Dave

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,603 / 125 / -95
    You're probably wishing that you had got your facts right about the lyrics in her songs.

16. Welshineire

Ratings:
    +458 / 5 / -2
    But with certain restrictions. That’s what you said, and that is what I would expect. In fairness you can call a policeman “a total cunt” but I’m guessing you won’t be getting away scot free.

17. Splott Dave

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,603 / 125 / -95
    You can call him whatever you like so long as nobody hears you. If someone hears you and takes offence, at an example of public disorder, then you are liable to face charges. But in your case you can ask every member on here as to whether they are Holocaust deniers, or not, in the knowledge that you are practising freedom of speech.

I'm assuming that you just didn't single me out, but that you intend to ask all 464 members the same question?

18. I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS

I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +1,739 / 58 / -2
    do you mean these lyrics

There once a man called splott dave ,
    he was an anti semite ,and lived in a cave
    his head had , lost a few screws
    he blamed the worlds problems on the jews

• Funny Funny x 1

19. Welshineire

Ratings:
    +458 / 5 / -2
    So you have freedom of speech to whatever you want no matter how offensive, as long as no one hears you. That kind of defeats the object of expressing your views. You see where I’m going with this don’t you, what you find offensive maybe different to what I find offensive, calling someone a “a cunt” is offensive to many. Making jokes about Mohamed is offensive to others, singing songs about the holocaust etc. Now all of these things are permitted under freedom of speech and yet some are seen as crossing the hypothetical line, and can be construed as i sighting hatred or violence. Does that not then become a criminal offense. I don’t know, I’m simply asking.

As for holocaust deniers, it’s open to all, I asked because you opened the thread, I wasn’t aware of this case before you brought it to our attention and you seemed to express some knowledge of Alison Chabloz.

20. Splott Dave

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,603 / 125 / -95
    Context is everything. Inciting violence or inciting hatred is one thing where that was the intention and it was clearly shown to be the intention. Writing a song about an individual because you believe the narrative about them may not necessarily be factually correct is different. Of course some may be offended by it and it may indeed be offensive, but does that make it a criminal offence?