1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix/Amazon Prime Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Colonel Cardiffi, 1 Sep 2017.

1. Colonel Cardiffi

Colonel Cardiffi C'mon CITY!
    ⚽ MODERATOR ⚽ ~LAST MAN STANDING~ ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ ☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘

Ratings:
    +46,094 / 1,855 / -235
    So what's good on Netflix and Amazon these days? Need some good recommendations.

Recentlyish I've watched:

Ozark (Netflix) top notch, well worth a look :thumbup:

Halt and Catch Fire (Amazon) again, excellent stuff :thumbup:

Godless (Netflix) not bad, a bit drawn out in places but worth seeing.

Anyone seen anything decent recently? :warnock:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  2. Sam1927

Sam1927 Wales Regular
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -1
    Heard about this film a while back, Woody Harrelson wrote, directed and stars in this film that was done in ONE SHOT, performed in London LIVE by all the actors and broadcast live to 500 cinemas simultaneously.

Haven't seen it yet but I'll be damned if I won't be seeing it at some point.

Also stars Owen Wilson and Willy Nelson.

• Like Like x 2
  3. The Edge

The Edge Player of the Month
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +99 / 1 / -0
    that looks good mate, i'll have to keep an eye out for that

heard this baby driver is good as well, haven't seen it myself yet

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  4. Colonel Cardiffi

Ratings:
    +46,094 / 1,855 / -235
    Both look like good shouts tbh :thumbup:

5. Cantonend

Cantonend Wales Regular
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +214 / 10 / -1
    I'm going to keep an eye out for those two :thumbup:

6. Nugent

Nugent Let's get brexit done
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ PICKEM 17/18 - 2nd Place 🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐 "Most Normal Person"

Ratings:
    +16,202 / 2,233 / -735
    Looks a good movie that

#6 Nugent, 2 Sep 2017 at 08:05
    Last edited by a moderator: 17 Feb 2019
  7. Sam1927

Sam1927 Wales Regular
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -1
    Not a movie but I caught the TV show Ozark on Netflix and it is well worth a watch.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sam1927

Sam1927 Wales Regular
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -1
    Anymore suggestions now that there's more posters on the board?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 👥 GTAM WINNER 👥 📞 Cardiff City Master 📞 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +9,834 / 235 / -60
    I struggle with the 2+ season dramas simply due to time / other constraints.

For example, me and the Mrs have been stuck on Breaking Bad S3 for about 2 years :hehe:

How long does this one go on for? Also, what's the general synopsis?

10. Colonel Cardiffi

Ratings:
    +46,094 / 1,855 / -235
    Ozark is a great shout. Only 1 season so far on Netflix, they've just been given the green light for a second.

US TV dramas tend to have the compulsion to make the male characters jump through hoops to keep the female characters happy, for example in Breaking Bad a lot of the tension is derived from the main character needing to perform all kinds of antics in order to hide his activities from his wife, but Ozark completely pulls the rug out from under the female character from the get-go.

She couldn't just order him around, guilt-trip him or bend him to her will, she'd been completely compromised and was in the shit just as much as he was and they both knew it.

The talk they have in the car together at the start of episode 2 was one of the finest written in TV drama history, it set up their dynamic brilliantly. It's just a great show, well worth a watch.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Nick Fletcher

Nick Fletcher Academy Trialist
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Bojack Horseman is back on Netflix tomorrow.

[​IMG]

12. Splott Dave

Splott Dave Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ❶ 1 YEAR ❶

Ratings:
    +2,531 / 265 / -174
    Anything with Tom Hardy in it.

13. Sam1927

Sam1927 Wales Regular
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -1
    I saw on Reddit that Bill Murray described the movie "Kung-Fu Hustle" as the greatest comedy ever made so I figured that's a pretty strong recommendation from an actor/person I've always liked and I gave the film a watch.

It's shit.

14. Mrs Steve R

Mrs Steve R Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ⚽ MODERATOR ⚽ ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🏁🏁🏁 50 PAGER 🏁🏁🏁 🔟 PICKEM 10/10 🔟

Ratings:
    +13,777 / 1,019 / -64
    I recommend this, the most interesting film you will watch all year. :thumbup:

15. The Edge

The Edge Player of the Month
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +99 / 1 / -0
    gave that baby driver film a watch last night. it was ok, a bit ridiculous in parts but quite entertaining overall

16. Colonel Cardiffi

Ratings:
    +46,094 / 1,855 / -235
    I saw this film on a recommendation as well, the first thing I was struck with was the similarities between this and the 2011 film "Drive" with Ryan Gosling.

2011's Drive was about a highly talented young male getaway driver, a quiet and moody person that keeps himself to himself until he meets a nice young waitress (played by a British actress) who gets him to open up a bit.

He agrees to "one last big job" but the job goes wrong and he ends up getting himself and his girlfriend embroiled in a terrible life-threatening maelstrom that requires some super driving skills to avoid being killed or captured by the mob and/or the police.

Whereas "Baby Driver" was about a highly talented young male getaway driver, a quiet and moody person that keeps himself to himself until he meets a nice young waitress (played by a British actress) who gets him to open up a bit.

He agrees to "one last big job" but the job goes wrong and he ends up getting himself and his girlfriend embroiled in a terrible life-threatening maelstrom that requires some super driving skills to avoid being killed or captured by the mob and/or the police.

Joking aside, Baby Driver is a clever film, with a unique style and a cool soundtrack and a bunch of good performances from some fine actors.

I just wonder when we'll stop making films about young men who think that driving like arseholes all over town is a thing to aspire to.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Colonel Cardiffi

Ratings:
    +46,094 / 1,855 / -235
    Just finished Season 1 of MINDHUNTER on Netflix and I have to say it is brilliant, one of the best shows out there.

Based on the true crime book Mind Hunter: Inside The FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit, it's not action packed, not even particularly gory considering the subject theme, there's no gay sex scene half way into the first episode and no 20-something Chinese girl inexplicably kicking the arses of a dozen henchmen either.

What you get is finely crafted writing on an interesting topic, well cast and acted. You might even consider it slow-paced but that's all part of it, this is one of the shows where it really pays to pay attention.

These days we take for granted the idea of an horrific murder being investigated using behavioural sciences to build a profile of the killer in an attempt to prevent them from killing again but in the 60's and 70's it was completely unheard of.

Convicted killers weren't assessed in any way to discover their frame of mind or to see what could be learned from them until this unit was set up by the FBI to do exactly that.

What follows is a steep learning curve for the FBI agents, having to devise an entire branch of investigation as they go, where the term "serial killer" isn't even coined until halfway through the 9th episode (of 10)

It also chronicles the effect that this line of work has on the agents and how they handle skirting the thin line between having a theory about who and how a person was killed and coercing a confession from a suspect that may not be guilty.

Well worth a watch if you're interested in this kind of psychology and seeing the first tentative steps of a new science being created.

:warnock::warnock::warnock::warnock::warnock:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Beep

Beep NOOB
    ❶ 1 YEAR ❶

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    Just got into Tin Star on Sky.

Tim Roth as chief copper in small Canadian town. Oil company move in, hassle caused for town, Roth's character opposed to it.

I'd explain why it gets good but that would be spoilerific.

19. Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 👥 GTAM WINNER 👥 📞 Cardiff City Master 📞 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +9,834 / 235 / -60
    I saw the same recommendation. Unfortunately, upon further reading, the Bill Murray concerned is a panel beater from Carlisle.

:worry:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Sam1927

Sam1927 Wales Regular
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -1
    I've always wondered if Carlisle was literally an Isle full of Carls but I've discovered there's absolutely no way to find out.