1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHS... scrap it?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Nugent, 8 Jun 2019.

1. Glos Blue

Glos Blue Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ❶ 1 YEAR ❶ PICKEM 17/18 - 3rd Place

Ratings:
    +4,733 / 91 / -16
    That’s sold me. Let’s scrap the NHS now!

2. Hilly ap Willie

Hilly ap Willie Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ❶ 1 YEAR ❶ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +2,846 / 39 / -15
    I don’t know, but I would expect it to be

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  3. TDA

TDA slightly clapped out ninja
    ⭐⭐ PLATINUM ⭐⭐ 🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ❶ 1 YEAR ❶ 🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲 🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐

Ratings:
    +9,570 / 285 / -28
    It seems so, but the level of NI contributions paid towards the NHS and pension by the average UK worker is absurdly low. Brits would be horrified at the thought of parting with up to 50% of their gross salary towards these essential benefits.

In France and Germany, it's taken out of their hands and everything is deducted at source. In the States, not so, but people are trusted to make their own provisions.

The UK has a history of keeping taxes relatively low, mainly as a political gesture, but the population isn't generally fiscally responsible with the cash it has in its pockets.

I think it was @Malarkey who asked about people being skint and not affording a doctor, but there is a whole different mentality on the continent.

There is no credit card debt, as there are no credit cards. You can have a bank debit card, but have to pay 100€ a year for the privilege.

The cheque is still king, but there are no cheque guarantee cards. You are not allowed to go overdrawn or bounce a cheque and to do so can result in disqualification from holding a bank account for 10 years.

Cash purchases in businesses (e.g. for stock) are frowned upon and accountants insist on everything being banked and being paid for by cheque or bank card, so that there is a complete audit trail for every penny received and spent.

Essentially, people live within their means.

4. Colonel Cardiffi

Colonel Cardiffi C'mon CITY!
    ⭐⭐ PLATINUM ⭐⭐ 🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ⚽ MODERATOR ⚽ ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐

Ratings:
    +37,922 / 1,652 / -218
    Regarding the NHS, I've seen far too many horror stories about the healthcare system in the US to ever want to do things that way. Seems needlessly cruel to be honest.

The NHS is a wonderful organisation that has saved the lives of many members of my family and I truly believe that any attempts to get rid of it would result in mass protest and/or revolution which is why they're doing it piece by piece, in order to stay under the radar.

• Like Like x 2
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  5. Hilly ap Willie

Ratings:
    +2,846 / 39 / -15

When you take into account points you raise there @TDA it shows why there a different lifestyle and emphasis on spending in other countries. You can't take things in isolation as to whether its better or worse for NHS, pensions etc. I'ts just different. or as your neighbours may still say, Vive le difference!

6. TDA

TDA slightly clapped out ninja
    ⭐⭐ PLATINUM ⭐⭐ 🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ❶ 1 YEAR ❶ 🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲 🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐

Ratings:
    +9,570 / 285 / -28
    I don't disagree with you at all. It's a brilliant concept. However, I defy anyone to claim that the way it is run these days is cost-effective.

For example, the NHS were delighted to pay £7,000 for me to have an operation in France that was going to cost them £11,000 to perform in the UK. I was also able to have the procedure within a month, rather than wait between 11 and 24 months, as they had quoted to me. Win, win all round, but why the disparity in costs and waiting times in the first place?

• Interesting Interesting x 3
  7. Hilly ap Willie

Ratings:
    +2,846 / 39 / -15
    I always find it a strange conumdrum when dismantling the NHS is mentioned. It's hoovering up more money year on year, whichever government seems to be in place. Which seems strange to then hear its being dismantled. Weird isnt it? For me, I just think its overloaded with more patients and more treatments than it can be expected to handle. Seeing it at the sharp end last year i couldnt believe how many peeps are treated and how much work is done on weekends, when years ago it used to virtually shut down on fridays excpet for A&E at the CRI. People were being brought in on fridays to be operated on over the weekend.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
  8. Hilly ap Willie

Ratings:
    +2,846 / 39 / -15
    Purely volume for me.
    When France has roughly the same population as the UK yet we have about 10% of their land volume we're bound to be a bit congested.

9. Mad Al

Mad Al Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +26,223 / 189 / -20
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Hilly ap Willie

Ratings:
    +2,846 / 39 / -15
    Then they announce GP’s in England have 3.5m more patients on their lists than there are in the country. At £150 a pop it’s only £500m or so being stolen!

11. Hilly ap Willie

Ratings:
    +2,846 / 39 / -15
    And today. Announcing more patients than ever before are being treated, yet waiting lists also grow by 1m. System is overloaded.

12. TH63

TH63 How I wish you were here.
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 ⚽ MODERATOR ⚽ ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐 PICKEM 18/19 - 1st Place PICKEM World Cup 2nd

Ratings:
    +17,336 / 570 / -122
    The premium for the most popular health plan offered by employers for a family of four is around $20,000 a year. The employer typically pays $13,000, the employee pays $7,000.
    Then you have the deductibles (excess as we call it) which can run to a couple of thousand dollars.

True story, I was in the states when that Icelandic volcano grounded all flights, and stupidly I'd only taken enough tablets for the two weeks. I always carry a copy of my prescription with me, so had to buy two days worth from the local pharmacy. Cost me about $20 and this was, what, ten years ago?

For many of the victims who were injured during the Las Vegas shooting, one of the first things they had to do when they came round in a hospital bed, was set up a gofundme page to pay for their medical bills.

Las Vegas shooting victims struggle to afford mounting medical costs - https://money.cnn.com/2017/10/25/pf/insurance/las-vegas-shooting-health-care/index.html