1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Betting

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by TDA, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:22 AM.

1. Colonel Cardiffi

Colonel Cardiffi C'mon CITY!

Ratings:
    +17,400 / 1,142 / -161

• Like Like x 1
    • Top Tune Top Tune x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

2. glasgowronnie

glasgowronnie First Team Debut

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Yes there will be shop closures and there will be job losses. I think the shops with not much lease left to run will be the first to go, then I think they turn to shops that take most of their money through the machines and very little OTC business..

• Interesting Interesting x 1

3. Joecity

Joecity Ballon d'Or Winner
    ***GOLD MEMBER*** PICKEM World Cup 1st

Ratings:
    +10,944 / 148 / -25
    I saw someone put £1000 on a card in betfred and lose the lot on Roulette. He lives by me and we say 'hello' so I felt comfortable to ask him about it. I said you must be devastated but he said that he wins big and loses big so he thinks it evens out over time. He told me that online roulette is where people really get stitched up as you can play and play and play. The shop environment made him more aware of what he's doing was his notion. Maybe more folks will just get pushed online where there is zero accountability.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

4. Colonel Cardiffi

Ratings:
    +17,400 / 1,142 / -161
    That's the problem, the punters who self-delude themselves into thinking it "evens out over time".

The bookies will always win over time.

• Agree Agree x 4

5. Joecity

Ratings:
    +10,944 / 148 / -25
    They will always win in the end I suppose especially on the fixed odds terminals. I;m up over 2 years now on the football accas. I only bet 2 or 3 pounds when I see a week I like. I do it for fun and not financial gain. I used to bet more heavily but found I'd lose chasing bets and doing cover bets n all that so I just stripped it back. I'm about £145 up over the 2 years I've been keeping notes on it. Before I'd stake that £145 on the next bet so would always be using my money again if I lost. Also when I had a bigish win I would try and buy something to begin with but eventually that became my float. Although in theory I'm up now I'm still down overall which confirms your point. Perhaps I should have just ticked agree.

6. Colonel Cardiffi

Ratings:
    +17,400 / 1,142 / -161
    :jiggly:

7. TH63

TH63 You are always close to me
    MODERATOR PICKEM World Cup 2nd

Ratings:
    +8,337 / 341 / -100
    In extreme cases, gambling can be as harmful as booze and fags.

I wouldn't wish to outlaw betting or gambling, but I would certainly advocate the end of advertising, "when the fun stops, stop" is clearly bollocks as the gambling companies depend on punters pissing their money away.

I also think this online gambling makes it too easy to lose more money.

It's one thing going to the bookies with a wad of cash, you know what you're spending, but online, it seems to be just too easy.

• Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 1

8. Whitts Left Peg

Whitts Left Peg Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +1,649 / 155 / -33
    Joe, speaking as someone who is a gambling addict, and was addicted to the FOBTs for many years, and still falls off the wagon occasionally, your neighbour is talking absolute bollocks.

As Colonel says he’s just deluding hinself. I know this because I did the same myself for many years.

Anyone blowing a grand on those machines is not in control.

Nothing to be proud of but I estimate I’ve lost between 30-50k over 13 years so it’s a subject close to me. I went through a period 3-5 years ago where I completely lost control and blew 20k in 2/3 years.

Fortunately I have a grip on it these days 99% of the time but the 2 quid maximum spin cannot come quick enough on these evil machines.

I’m also fortunate my wife stood by me when it was at its worst a few years ago, my parents too, but it did end in a bout of depression, and for those without support of loved ones you can understand why suicide is the only option as you think there is no way out.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1

9. Whitts Left Peg

Ratings:
    +1,649 / 155 / -33
    Good!

10. TH63

TH63 You are always close to me
    MODERATOR PICKEM World Cup 2nd

Ratings:
    +8,337 / 341 / -100
    That’s what worries me. How many families and lives have been ruined by, let’s face it, an illness similar to alcoholism?
    Fortunately you were strong enough and had the support to beat it.
    I take my hat off to you for sharing your story.

11. Joecity

Ratings:
    +10,944 / 148 / -25
    Good to hear you've got a handle on it mate. It's not easy beating any addiction is it. It's tremendous that your support network stayed in place. Really helps. I wonder if people who are addicted to gambling will feel satisfied by the £2 spins. Is it the spinning/ act of gambling or the sheer amounts that become infectious? I know there's more too it than just this of course. I'm wondering how much it will help. I certainly hope it does.

12. Arfur Europe

Arfur Europe Ballon d'Or Winner
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +3,237 / 86 / -13
    I remember betting as a teenager in the proper 'Turf Accountant' (what a delicious play on words!) and you had to choose whether to pay the 10% tax on your stake, or your winnings. That was a gamble in itself!

I've always thought just how much money that would've earned HMRC and how it could've made all our lives that little bit better.

Perhaps it needs to be reintroduced to fend off the Tories ideological 'Austerity' (which is nowhere near over, and there's an argument was never actually needed in the first place).

13. Whitts Left Peg

Ratings:
    +1,649 / 155 / -33
    Thanks Tony

I like to share my story online sometimes as it’s my way of dealing with, what you rightly say, is an illness / addiction no different than alcoholism or drug addiction. The difference with gambling is you can hide it. I become very good at this, and some of the lies I told were outrageous looking back on it.
    I went through a stage of going for lunch, gambling then not going back to work. I’d completely lost a grip on reality going back 5 years ago.

I did look at Gamblers Anonymous but I don’t like the idea of turning to god because I’m an aethiest, and as you know very stubborn in my views :hehe:so it just wouldn’t work.

Thankfully I had a good network of friends and family, and, for the moment at least, things are back on track. Last 2 years have been good. One or two blips but small potatoes.

• Like Like x 3

14. Whitts Left Peg

Ratings:
    +1,649 / 155 / -33
    The honest answer is I honestly don’t know mate. This answer would send my old man potty when he would ask the question. He just couldn’t get his head around it. I didn’t even know myself why I kept doing it. They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result

I played the bandits as a teenager, then used to do a football coupon but it was when online started I started to up the stakes and chase my losses and then a 10 quid loss, could turn into 100, could turn into 500-1000 in one night.

Then I started playing the FOBTs and that was a game changer. It’s the speed of it all. I don’t even think it was a buzz, it would just trying to be chasing my losses. “One more spin, win my money back”. You know it wasn’t paying it but you can’t stop yourself. Don’t want to walk away in case someonelse comes along and takes out the 600 quid you’ve just put in. Then you put another 600 in and your 1200 down.

I’d start off with say 5 quid spin, and if I was winning maybe up to 10/20 quid, but as soon as start losing I’d be spinning 100 quid before you know it. I lost count of the lunch breaks I’d blow 300, 500, 600 quid. I think 2.2k was the most I ever put in one.

So for me it was more of a panic and a chase than the buzz. When I won it was more relief than anything.

I sometime watch other people playing them and when you’re not the one losing big money you want to grab people and shake some sense into them.

Something had to be done about them because I never see any casual “bit of fun” players, lose a tenner and walk away. I’d say 99% of people who play FOBTS have a gambling problem and won’t walk away until they’ve done their bollocks.

For me personally the 2 quid maximum will spin will stop the binge chasing where you can lose hundreds in minutes.

Also, without wishing to sound arrogant, the money I lost, whilst no one can say they can afford to lose 30/40/50k, a lot of it was disposable income and what debts I did build up due to gambling I consolidated. I put my notice in work to get a pay rise to cover the consolidation loan so in my own head I justified that I hadn’t lost that money! A gamblers mindset is utterly deluded.

The good thing for me was I never missed any bills, we still had a roof over our head, still go on nice holidays, kids never want for anything. We generally have a nice life. Yes I could maybe have a nicer car, or bigger house, or 2 abroad holidays instead of one, but thankfully the gambling hasn’t completely ruined my life.

For some people they are stealing to gamble, losing their house, family and there are gamblers out there far worse than me.

I see people who haven’t got 2 beans to rub together, blowing their benefits, probably their kids lunch money on gambling and other addictions and thank my lucky stars that I never got as desperate as that, although mentally it has done a fair bit of damage as you’re constantly sneaking around, wrestling with your conscience.

• Like Like x 1

15. Whitts Left Peg

Ratings:
    +1,649 / 155 / -33
    Snooker did see a downturn once the tobacco companies pulled out and the renaissance has conincided gambling company sponsorship.

Charlie says it’s only live TV though so they can still sponsor events.

I listened to a debate on the radio the other day and they were saying the Ray Winstone style live adverts were the ones attracting young teenage gamblers, so I’m glad they’ve decided to do something about it.

• Agree Agree x 1

16. Splott Dave

Splott Dave Ballon d'Or Winner
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 178 / -137
    No sport needs gambling, it's more a case of the other way round.
    With 400,000 problem gamblers in Britain, is it really worth all of the misery that it can cause?

SD (former lookout for pitch and toss in Splott) now reformed...:hehe:

• Funny Funny x 1

17. kiffa

kiffa Wipes sitting down
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +3,279 / 111 / -60
    My 2 golden rules

1. Only bet what you are willing (can afford) to lose

2. Never bet on Cardiff City

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

18. Crowbar Johnny

Crowbar Johnny Wales Call Up

Ratings:
    +310 / 12 / -6
    Never liked Gambling myself preferred Beer, Charlie, Grass and Smack..Well done Whitts I remember talking to you at the time, My one point of information though would be that by telling ourselves we're on the Wagon is setting ourself up to fall off so that mindset needs changing. For me it's a daily reprieve i've never relapsed in 18 years I don't believe in God either but I was at an anonymous meeting only last night and its the most successful treatment model on the planet and it's free at the point of entry which the addiction industry hates because they can't make money out of it.....I hope you and your family have a peaceful and happy Christmas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1