1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Players and fans as one as Cardiff’s incredible reaction to Sala tragedy continues.

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by the other bob wilson, 10 Feb 2019.

1. the other bob wilson

the other bob wilson Club and Country Superstar

Ratings:
    +718 / 5 / -1
  2. Lawnmower

Lawnmower Club and Country Superstar

Ratings:
    +1,127 / 15 / -1
    Spence at it again.

Also see he has a couple of games for the under 23s.

Our best chance of one progressing to the first team for a while maybe ?

3. the other bob wilson

Ratings:
    +718 / 5 / -1
    He's missed a lot of this season with injury and so he has not had the impact this time around that he did last year - the heartening thing is that, based on the evidence of this season, there are a few with a chance in the Academy currently.

4. Barry Shitpeas

Barry Shitpeas Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +6,567 / 79 / -13
    Great read as ever, thanks. Would you put the current success of the U18s down to Craig Bellamy? He’s been saying for some time that he wants to produce players that are confident with the ball at their feet so that they are able to fit into any system that may be required of them as professionals. Do the current crop reflect that desire?

5. the other bob wilson

Ratings:
    +718 / 5 / -1
    Thanks for your kind words. For me, the current Under 18 team have proved that they are the best team at that level that we've had since we were given Academy status in 2004. In that time, we've never had a team that has topped their league for as long as this one has and although I always try to remember the refrain about results not being everything in age group football, the fact that this lots record is so much better than their predecessors must count for something.
    Therefore, I think this group would have done well even if Craig Bellamy was not involved with the club, but the fact of the matter is that we have a side topping their league within a year or two of him becoming involved, whereas we usually tend to finish in the fifth to eighth area of a ten team league - maybe results have become more important under Bellamy?
    The football the Under 18s played yesterday was a long way removed from what we see from the first team, but a similarity was that when they attacked it was done at speed - they may be much more of a passing team than the first eleven, but they played a direct kind of passing game as opposed to the passing for passing's sake approach you see from some senior sides at all levels of the professional game.
    It's hard to make predictions with this sort of thing, but I would say that if, as has been the case at the club for too long, none of the current group of fifteen to eighteen year olds break into the first team, then there needs to be a serious look at how the club goes about its youth development when players get into their late teens.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Good Football Post Good Football Post x 1
  6. Barry Shitpeas

Barry Shitpeas Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +6,567 / 79 / -13
    It sounds quite positive generally as far as showing that the talent is out there, but then I don’t think that was ever in doubt. It’s just that the pathway from mini to youth to academy to first team is getting stuck at U23 level.

I assume this is a symptom of the way we’ve played in recent seasons and the position we’ve found ourselves in as far as going for promotion and now in a relegation battle which doesn’t lend itself to being able to introduce youngsters.

7. the other bob wilson

Ratings:
    +718 / 5 / -1
    I could ramble on for ages about this, but I'll try and keep my answer brief. One way of looking at the issue is to say that we've just not had any youngsters good enough to become first team regulars since Joe Ralls (who only spent a season or two at Cardiff's Academy) emerged in 2011. I think it's a bit more complicated than that and believe that, generally speaking, our managers have been very reluctant to trust young players since then. I agree the sort of relegation battle we're in now is not the time or place to throw a youngster in for a debut, but there always seems to be an excuse at Cardiff - last season Neil Warnock said it wasn't a year for picking young players after we'd played about four games!

I can remember us having a period of about two months at the end of the dismal 14/15 season when it was clear we would not be going up or down. Surely a run of about ten matches with nothing really on them was an ideal opportunity to give youth a try, but Russell Slade (the worst Cardiff manager I've seen when it comes to youth development) opted not to do so - if kids were not given an opportunity in a situation like that, when will they ever be?

• Agree Agree x 1