1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Points based immigration passes initial Commons stage

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Nugent, 30 Jun 2020.

1. Malarkey

Malarkey Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❶ 1 YEAR ❶ ☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘ I ❤ PATO

Ratings:
    +11,469 / 137 / -32
    Don't let him get to you. He knows what he's doing.
    He'll have a moan that everyone's picking on on him within a week or two.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    #21 Malarkey, 30 Jun 2020 at 23:50
    Last edited: 1 Jul 2020
  2. Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe Ballon d'Or Winner
    💎💎 DIAMOND 💎💎 🏆 GOLD 🏆 👥 GTAM WINNER 👥 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +14,545 / 420 / -143
    I agree. Whenever I see idiotic posts like this from him, I remind myself that he's just a Tory.

It never fails to cheer me up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  3. Joecity

Joecity Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ PICKEM World Cup 1st ☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘ 🏅 FUNNIEST POSTER 🏅 🏅 BEST POSTER 🏅

Ratings:
    +43,433 / 580 / -108
    [​IMG]
    rapgent_LI (3).jpg

• Funny Funny x 12
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  4. stantys tattoos

stantys tattoos never sober
    💎💎 DIAMOND 💎💎 🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❶ 1 YEAR ❶ ~LMS Belarus~ ☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘ 😈 Prince of Darkness 😈 🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺

Ratings:
    +36,247 / 809 / -69
    that will be his avatar tomorrow :nqat:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe Ballon d'Or Winner
    💎💎 DIAMOND 💎💎 🏆 GOLD 🏆 👥 GTAM WINNER 👥 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +14,545 / 420 / -143
    EauNNx_WkAE8-pz.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Steve R

Steve R Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐

Ratings:
    +26,316 / 745 / -100
    this went well.

• Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Woody

Woody Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 52 / -10
    The devil of these things is always in the detail. I've not had time to have a proper look, but based on what is quoted in the thread, there are one or two interesting things.

Firstly, it will be interesting to see what constitutes an "approved sponsor". It's been an arse-ache, especially for small businesses, to be an "approved sponsor", up to now. Presumably, with the need to drive our businesses out of the coming downturn, we'll not want recruitment to be a hurdle, so being an "approved sponsor" will be made easier, especially as our available labour pool is now focused only on the UK and not the EU.

On that basis, given that Boris is banging on about spending millions doing stuff like refurbishing schools (for example), if I was an approved sponsor, and I needed carpenters (to use a totally random example off the top of my head), and the appropriate skills requirements were that they could saw up pieces of wood and attach them to one another, and that they spoke passable English, then as long as there was a shortage of those people (which is likely, as anectodal evidence on here suggests that building sites rely on plenty of "Johnny Foreigners"), I'd be looking at a points-based system as follows: -

Offer of job by approved sponsor - 20 pts
    Appropriate skill level at sawing up/joining bits of wood - 20 pts
    Passable amount of English, as possessed by most folk who want to come and work here - 10 pts
    Job in a shortage occupation - 20 points

Bingo - 70 points

The same will likely apply, to put my more serious hat on for a second, in other occupations where we might fear a shortage, such as nursing/care staff. So hopefully, those essential occupations will not be too badly affected, but those Sun/Mail readers who think we've taken back control of our borders will instead be treated to an ever more wide selection of immigrants who can qualify via the points system.

What the system doesn't appear to address very well, which is a concern, is the shortage of labour in STEM-related disciplines. It seems very odd to set the qualification bar at PhD level when most engineers and techies go into industry before they reach that level.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. lardy

lardy biggest fucking hypocrite on the internet
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ Fantasy Football 18/19

Ratings:
    +6,354 / 123 / -18
    The EU and Johnny Foreigner have been the scapegoat for home made problems for decades. Now the Tories are getting rid of both, it'll be interesting to see where the blame goes next, because it's sure as shit not going to solve anything.

• Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 2
  9. Worse

Worse Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +2,177 / 173 / -212
    Nugent isn't a Conservative, he is not even conservative. He's posing as a far-right nationalist, saying all the same things that Nigel Farage or Tommy Robinson would say.

The only question is, does he believe and understand what he is saying, or is he just too thick to realise the impact of what he purports to believe in, has on others?

This is naked unashamed nationalism, as with all nationalism there always has to be the other, as without it nationalism can't exist.
    At present the other is being defined by a points system, but that can quickly escalate to people from specific countries being banned or even ethnicities. Potentially this is a slippery slope for this country. One that needs to be watched very carefully.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Worse

Worse Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +2,177 / 173 / -212
    Agreed.

11. Nugent

Nugent Roland Nuggles
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ PICKEM 17/18 - 2nd Place 🏁🏁🏁 50 PAGER 🏁🏁🏁 "Most Normal Person"

Ratings:
    +23,064 / 2,957 / -1,150

I tell you what , dont leave boys , I'll go ok.

I've quoted your threads but dont think its aimed at just you 2, theres a lot more than you.

I've been watching all of ricky Gervais' podcasts on religion , race and free speech during lockdown, and it's people like YOU ruining the world for other people, trying to stifle peoples opinions and thoughts and INDEED jokes or wind ups cos you cant cope with offence.

This is not a flounce, by any means, but after you all regularly contribute to a multi page "latest tory farce" thread so regularly, makes the political points scoring joke system a bit of a laughing stock.

Ganging up and calling people swear words again, I thought this was being stopped,
    But it's ok cos its aimed at Nugent.

Not allowed an opinion cos it doesn't sit with the left narrative.

Heres a future I predict , people are buying online, the high street shops are dying on their arse, shops are closing, pubs are closing, British people WILL NEED jobs, we needed to close the borders a long time ago TO LOW SKILLED PEOPLE.
    That's my opinion

Now if you want to all cry , call me a prick, cos you dont want a friendly discussion then put me on ignore , please.

Otherwise get in a debate.

Now when I finish work, I trust that this thread wont be locked or deleted, itll be full of opinion and debate and no petty abuse

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 1
    • Snowflake Snowflake x 1
  12. TH63

TH63 How I wish you were here.
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ⚽ MODERATOR ⚽ ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ ☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘ PICKEM 18/19 - 1st Place PICKEM World Cup 2nd

Ratings:
    +31,054 / 913 / -147
    “Not allowed an opinion cos it doesn't sit with the left narrative.”

Here we go again playing the victim.

You’ve been allowed your opinion. It’s literally right here, unchanged, unmoderated left for everyone to see in all its xenophobic, ignorant glory.

Other people have expressed their opinion on your opinion.

That’s all I’m going to say to you on this matter, or indeed anything else,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #32 TH63, 1 Jul 2020 at 07:02
  13. Glos Blue

Glos Blue Wales. Masturbation. Farming. In that order!
    💎💎 DIAMOND 💎💎 😎 FORUM LEGEND 😎 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🏅 FUNNIEST PHOTO 🏅 🗐🗐🗐 30 PAGER 🗐🗐🗐 PICKEM 17/18 - 3rd Place

Ratings:
    +13,116 / 169 / -28
    I win!!
    I had 06:02 in the sweepstake of what time you would play the victim.
    Where do I claim my prize?

• Funny Funny x 8
  14. Nugent

Nugent Roland Nuggles
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ PICKEM 17/18 - 2nd Place 🏁🏁🏁 50 PAGER 🏁🏁🏁 "Most Normal Person"

Ratings:
    +23,064 / 2,957 / -1,150
    Someone edited the thread title.
    Even tho it will pass the house of lords.

Why do you think I'm playing the victim?

It's ok then is it to call people a prick?

15. Malarkey

Malarkey Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❶ 1 YEAR ❶ ☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘ I ❤ PATO

Ratings:
    +11,469 / 137 / -32
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. PlumberAde

PlumberAde Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ ☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘

Ratings:
    +9,505 / 105 / -15
    Nuge, I am sorry I called you a prick. Im not apologising for calling the Government wankers though. During lockdown we saw how "unskilled" workers kept us running in supermarkets, care homes, and the NHS. Schools are cleaned by the same "unskilled" workers. You know why many of those jobs end up with immigrants? Because there are plenty of Brits who could apply and didn't. How the fuck can Jeremy Kyle get 1.3 million viewers at 9.25 ?

This plan indicates that Patel has lived in a cocoon of crisps, chocolate and Farage tweets for the last 3 months. When she did raise her head above the parapet, she showed she was unskilled herself.

Which part of this post was aimed at encouraging anyone to debate?

17. lardy

Ratings:
    +6,354 / 123 / -18
    Doesn't this also work the other way? British people now have reduced freedom to work in Europe.

• Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 2
  18. Wave_Maker

Wave_Maker Ballon d'Or Winner
    ⭐⭐⭐ PLATINUM ⭐⭐⭐ WEED CLUB 🍺 BEER CLUB 🍺

Ratings:
    +5,553 / 87 / -30
    I keep hearing from both parties about recruitment to fill the STEM roles and both parties have failed to address it. Yes there are there's a definite reluctance from British students wanting to study these subjects, but is hardly a surprise considering the following and reason why 80-90% of STEM students are now non-british

Despite the 1000s of graduates that graduate in such disciplines, companies do their damndest to avoid hiring them, training them, and moulding them into what the company/industry needs. Yet these industries complain year on year that they can't get the calibre of applicant. It's utter BS. The calibre of applicant is there, they just don't want to hire someone who needs additional bit of training, because they expect all hired persons to be able to hit the ground running from day 1. You name me any job role that doesn't require a bit of training when you first start?

Germany isn't afraid to hire graduates, as they seem to understand the benefit of training recruited employees to do exactly what they need. Why is it such an issue here in this country?

Secondly, the pay for these roles is also piss poor in this country. So why would people flock from foreign shores to fill these STEM roles when they could earn a hell of a lot more elsewhere? An engineer is viewed as highly as a brain surgeon in Italy, yet here it's the complete opposite. The days of engineer an engineer being a grease monkey has long gone.

I had a degree in aerospace engineering, but could I get a job? So then did a masters in aerospace vehicle design. Could I get a job? Companies would just bin my application based on my degree titles, not realising I had the skills as a mechanical engineer plus a hell of a lot more. They supposedly are wanting multi-disciplined candidates/staff, but they didn't want to recruit people like myself.

But I had belief in myself and was bloody determined, so I refused to give up. So I started studying degrees with more generic titles. Firstly an MRes in structural analysis (thankfully from a Welsh uni so the financial burden was a lot less). Even then it was a struggle to get that first job. Why? because I was then being viewed as being over-qualified for graduate roles! It beggers belief.

Have since gone on and worked for some top companies, and have also studied further, to update and further enhance my skill set. And if I went abroad to live and work, I could've earned a shedload more money than the peanuts that are on offer in this country (ageing parents kept me here though). So to make the money i want to make, I have given up working for others and setting up my own companies. And even that is being slowed because of now having to be carer to my mother, cos there aren't enough carers to go around

It shouldn't have to be so damn hard to get those job roles. Management and HR depts are an absolute joke in this country. And I'm buggered if I'm gonna follow in their footsteps

*Rant over* :hehe:

• Like Like x 3
    #38 Wave_Maker, 1 Jul 2020 at 08:43
  19. Worse

Worse Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +2,177 / 173 / -212
    No way.

I worked in Europe in 1971

20. lardy

Ratings:
    +6,354 / 123 / -18
    In 1971 it was more difficult to work in Europe than, say, 2011. Well done for doing it, I haven't said it's impossible.

You say "no way". So do you think the UK has made it more difficult for people to come here but it's just as easy for British people to go to the EU as before brexit? Give over.