1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping Container Homes - Bute Street

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Colonel Cardiffi, 14 May 2019.

1. Colonel Cardiffi

Colonel Cardiffi C'mon CITY!
    ⚽ MODERATOR ⚽

Ratings:
    +27,592 / 1,445 / -200
    First look inside new shipping container homes for homeless families

Homeless families could be using the shipping container homes this year

New images have revealed what new shipping container homes for homeless people in Cardiff will look like.

Work is set to begin this month to set up 13 shipping container homes in the former PDSA site in Bute Street to provide temporary accommodation for families until more permanent housing can be found.

There will be seven two-bedroom homes, comprising of a 40ft and a 20ft container, and six one-bedroom homes, made from a 40ft container.

First look inside new shipping container homes for homeless people - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/shipping-container-homes-homeless-cardiff-16272511

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  2. Colonel Cardiffi

Colonel Cardiffi C'mon CITY!
    ⚽ MODERATOR ⚽

Ratings:
    +27,592 / 1,445 / -200
    There's absolutely no way these are intended to be temporary, they'll be there for years I guarantee it.

I remember when I was in junior school we had these temporary classrooms built, they called them the "huts". They were supposed to be there for a year while other permanent classrooms were being worked on.

30 years later they're still there.

• Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  3. Joecity

Joecity Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 PICKEM World Cup 1st

Ratings:
    +17,918 / 251 / -62
    The 5th biggest economy in the World housing people in shipping containers. Yes. That's how it is. Some folks own hundreds of homes. And what's more very few people seem to give a fuck.

• Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Colin Wanker

Colin Wanker Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +1,121 / 62 / -13
    Fill them up full of the great unwashed, lock them up and send them on the Bro Deliverer to the bottom of the Bristol channel. Job done, then repeat.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Joecity

Ratings:
    +17,918 / 251 / -62
    Take his ratings off him Gareth. Making excuses for losing Pickem when he's won at life.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Ainsley Harriott

Ainsley Harriott Give your meat a good ol' rub
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆

Ratings:
    +4,992 / 138 / -11
    Living in shipping containers is a great way of using some of the 15-20 million spare containers in the world.

Amsterdam has 1000 of them as a student village

99e6c56b-a06b-47ee-8627-6f40a304448e-2060x1236.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
  7. Joecity

Ratings:
    +17,918 / 251 / -62
    Not a long term solution is it though. The point I didn't really make but the Colonel did is that these will end up long term. Must rattle like fuck when it rains and the wind blows plus they will be done on the cheap here. But fuck it yeah. House people in fucking shipping containers. Why not? Good enough for them. Can load them onto a ship when they are kipping as well. Send them to Lagos. Problem solved.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Joecity

Ratings:
    +17,918 / 251 / -62
    Never mind how many shipping containers that industry has created don't you think we should aim higher. This fascination about self-flageilation these days. Why has everything got to be worse than what came before? Why can't we just build more houses..Don't let any interested parties tell you it can't be done. By the time these crates are in place they could have built the same number of houses/ flats on that space for the exact same puropose. Housing shouldn't be commodity. It's everything that's wrong with Britain.

• Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter Vote Lecter.

Ratings:
    +11,689 / 439 / -60
    Great idea.

Let's start with housing mp's in them.

That'll save a few bob.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Joecity

Ratings:
    +17,918 / 251 / -62
    On the day where a report is published into the ever growing inequality in Britain, and how we are now the most unequal country in all the World ,behind only America in terms of Wealth sharing the Council is chucking people in fucking crates. You could almost say it's all part of the plan.

Britain risks heading to US levels of inequality, warns top economist - https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2019/may/14/britain-risks-heading-to-us-levels-of-inequality-warns-top-economist

Nobel winner warns UK of U.S.-style inequality risks - Reuters - https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-inequality/nobel-winner-warns-uk-of-u-s-style-inequality-risks-idUKKCN1SK0OZ

Peak inequality - https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/07/peak-inequality

People applauding it like seals. Oh it's wonderful. Oh it's creative. It's thinking outside the box! No it's not. It takes the fucking piss. Country's going to the dogs mun. All happening on our watch as well. What will it be like for our youngsters? Worse no doubt.

What are we going to do? Can't keep voting for this same showers of shite that serve the top 1%

Here's an interesting read..

[​IMG]

11. TDA

TDA slightly clapped out ninja
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆 🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲

Ratings:
    +7,490 / 240 / -24
    Using shipping crates is actually a brilliant house building concept. My son has been keen to have one built for years. There was a very interesting Grand Designs episode about one a few years ago.

The crates only form the basic structure. Properly insulated against cold, damp and noise, they are as efficient and permanent as any other form of build.

My interpretation of "temporary" here is that the structures would be permanent, but staging points for people until more traditional homes become available.

Whether the powers that be can get trusted to do things properly is another matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  12. Crowbar Johnny

Crowbar Johnny Wales Regular
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆

Ratings:
    +628 / 17 / -6
    Once they convert an office or a container into a home its statistically marked as a new build. the picture shown where these are, looks really nice, in a nice street, wait until they start churning them out on old industrial estates where then family are being housed next to scrap metal yards etc.....Feeeeecking wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hillyboy61

Hillyboy61 Club and Country Superstar
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆

Ratings:
    +1,030 / 19 / -3
    In principle, no different to the post war prefab race to house everyone. Biggest difference then was there was oodles of land available. I’m sure a lot of people derided the “tin” houses at the time. I’m sure a lot of people believed this were truly going to be temporary too.
    Same with people buying homes now compared to 20,30,40 years ago. Everyone says “like shoeboxes” compared to older houses.
    Life moves on, different strokes for different strokes I suppose.

14. Steve R

Steve R Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +11,451 / 524 / -59
    Here he goes again with his common sense approach....

Didn't you know Joe, common sense was made defunct back in '88. Don't you remember the CS Riots of '89?

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Joecity

Ratings:
    +17,918 / 251 / -62
    It suits the builders. Developers. Rent seekers and a small minority for it be so. You'll never get a decent housing polucy in Britain. Europe laughs at us. The laugh is on all the single homeowners that will have to sell to pay for their care later in life and not being able to leave as much for their children like they thought they would. Having justified the crazy housing market by thinking oh well I can pass it on that too will be taken. Only a matter of time. Capital will just go to capital. Not everyone can win. Only a very small percentage. The middle class will be next to be rinsed out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Steve R

Ratings:
    +11,451 / 524 / -59
    @Joecity, have you seen the plans for the container village in Barry? All shops & Offices though!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
  17. Antifa

Antifa Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD MEMBER 🏆

Ratings:
    +1,959 / 47 / -14
    Hurray let’s place lovey metal for boxes for homeless people right next to a primary school and Salvation Army in one of the most deprived areas of Cardiff.

Great idea :homer:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Joecity

Ratings:
    +17,918 / 251 / -62
    No. I've not seen that.

Thinking on it more there's a role for quick prefab housing within the national stock. I just shudder at the way the country is heading housing wise.

Also as offices and shops I reckon they would be great but as I famously do I get the right hump with housing inequality.

The money suckers vs human need. Private landlords don't spend the money you pay them on repairs, improving the property, putting in a patio so that you might enjoy the garden do they?

No they buy more properties, go on cruises, move abroad, buy better cars, eat better dinners, price others out of the market. Any other fragment of society other than housing or health I wouldn't give a shit. Good luck. Play the game.

Ol man @TDA will think differently. Of course he will. He sees opportunity. I see need.

Some things though I think aren't for money making,.It's a shit society that thinks they are.

Wait till your kids fully realise that they won't have the chance for a slice of the pie that you did.

Wait till you raelise the pie you thought was going to feed your family for ages is taken away.

Why?

Because wealth is concentrated in the hands of so few that it doesn't even trickle down like it was envisaged anymore. Leaving no public services and every normal Joe publics arse hanging out.

Something like that anyway.

I'll go and walk my dogs now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steve R

Ratings:
    +11,451 / 524 / -59
  20. stantys tattoos

stantys tattoos Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +1,275 / 40 / -10
    ever thought about going on question time the next time their in cardiff? :thumbup: