1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 'What players would you keep,sell or release for next season 'Thread

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Capt.Darling, 30 Jul 2020.

1. TDA

TDA fully paid up member of the silent majority
    ⭐⭐⭐ PLATINUM ⭐⭐⭐ 💎💎 DIAMOND 💎💎 🏆 GOLD 🏆 🎲 GAMESMASTER 🎲 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ ☘☘ 100 PAGER ☘☘ 🏅 UNSUNG HERO 🏅

Ratings:
    +14,756 / 468 / -43
    As a back up /alternative, but not first choice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  2. Jamieccfc

Jamieccfc I'm as free as a bird
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❶ 1 YEAR ❶ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐 I ❤ NEIL HARRIS

Ratings:
    +12,676 / 330 / -52
    I would see if huddersfield would part with pritchard as well

3. SloopJB

SloopJB Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +1,266 / 19 / -1
    Prefer
    Barry bannon to pritchard
    SJB

4. Costa Coffee Crew

Costa Coffee Crew Wales Regular
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +608 / 15 / -1
    There are some tough decisions ahead. Most people agree that we have the basis of a side that can challenge once again for promotion. The additional qualities required are extra creativity, a striker who can get a minimum of 15 goals and we need the ability to keep the ball better when required. We also know that many supporters and the manager himself wants to introduce academy plyers to the squad.

Money is going to be tight for all clubs, Cardiff included. This suggests we should take whatever we can get for any players who are currently on the fringes - players who can do a job but don't really boost the quality of the squad overall. This suggests that, if we can get offers for, Flint, Bamba, Etheridge, Pack Whyte Patterson etc we should accept them. I also think that reluctantly Danny Ward should be allowed to move on and Sanderson and Smith have not done enough IMO to warrant coming back next seasion. It you add these to Richards, Connolly and Bogle we have some scope to bring academy products through and make a few additions. I think in the main the additions should be Premier League youngsters on loan, they lower the average age and introduce the quality we need. The shite in white down the road have shown has to intergrate these youngsters - Brewster - is the prime example.

Goalkeeper. Smithies has made such a difference. He is a much better all round keeper than Etheridge IMO. If a Premier League club offered in excess of £10m we would have to accept but other than that let Etheridge go and bring Radcliffe into the squad,

Our defence is as good as anything in the division. A good ball playing centre back and a right back would be good additions. Joe Bagan and Cunningham, would also boost the squad.

Midfield - We need some young creative quality. Don't have names but they must be out there. I also think Jonny Williams is exactly the king of player we need as back up to Tomlin.I would bring Bowen and Myembe into the squad.

Forwards - I think Kiefer Moore would be a great addition for us. I thought he was superb for Wigan against us at CCS. His goal with the flick was sublime and he is more than just a target man. Then we need a lightening fast striker from one of the big 6 academies.

These changes would make us automatic promotion favourites.

5. BSP

BSP Ballon d'Or Winner
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +14,303 / 179 / -28
    Agree with much of this. However, as WLP mentioned earlier, most clubs are either going to be skint or reluctant to spend so I would be surprised to see any good offers for the likes of Pack, Flint, Whyte etc so I suspect any activity in the market will be modest, especially as NH has shown what he can do with little to spend.

As you say loans are our only realistic prospect of bringing in genuine quality, although the loan fees these top 6 clubs charge nowadays makes it an expensive business and I’m not sure Tan would see it as good value.

I think our best hope is taking advantage of the clubs below us in the leagues that may be needing to offload their top talent to keep themselves out of trouble financially, just as we’ve had to so many times in the past. Hopefully our new scouting set up will come up with the goods there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jamieccfc

Jamieccfc I'm as free as a bird
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❶ 1 YEAR ❶ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐 I ❤ NEIL HARRIS

Ratings:
    +12,676 / 330 / -52
    Or get both :hehe:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic First Team Debut

Ratings:
    +132 / 5 / -6
    GK

Only sellable keepers are Smithies and Etheridege - sell Etheridge ( are there any bidders? ) and keep Day as no 2.

FB

Bennett is fine on the left, like any full back needs cover. Sanderson I'd not keep - he seems to be from the modern full back mode where getting forward is more important than defending - see Trent Alexander-Arnold. Cunningham is cover at left back / central but if an offer comes in, would have to be considered. Definitely need a right back in.

CD

Morrison and Nelson done enough to start next season. Bamba I can imagine would be moved on, possibly following Warnock to Boro. Flint needs to go but I can't see us losing both him and Bamba as we'd have no cover, Brown not being available until at least Jan transfer window if at al. Possibly another CD in.

CM

Vaulks, Bacuna, Ralls all much of a muchness for me, put a shift in. What we lack is a defensive midfield dog - someone sitting in front of back four, breaking play up then making the simple pass. We've simply too many box-to-box players. Pack I can see was probably earmarked for that role but just hasn't been good enough. It's also his distribution, something claimed to be a strong point - if you look at his passing, even shorter passes, almost every time it's either to players feet or slightly behind. With the former, makes receiving player static, with the latter,player has to go back. We've lost so much attacking momentum because he seems unable of putting the ball ahead of the player for them to pick it up in stride.

The biggest problem we have is midfield setup. There's too big a gap between midfield and lone striker from the start of the game, hence Glatzel or whoever ends up isolated. Whoever comes off the bench to replace Glatzel has the advantage of Tomlin in the hole to provide service. If e're going to play 2 of Vaulks/Bacuna/Ralls then we need that holding midfielder to allow both to get further forward in support.

We can't rely on Tomlin for a full season. We can't seem to rely on him for 90 minutes to be honest. Waite from the Academy seems to have that creative side and score goals albeit at far lower level, I'd be surprised if he wasn't in or around the first team squad this season.

WIng

Common factor for me is that the delivery from our wide players isn't that great. I can definitely see recruitment here - Hoilett I suspect may have his eyes on Boro too. Murphy flatters to deceive and it's getting to the stage where he needs to realise he has to be more consistent. Maybe we bought the wrong brother.... I like Whyte, does put a shift in but sadly it's not working out. NML for me is either on or he's not. Too often wants to rely on knocking past defender and using pace. I'd say this is another area needing work.

Strikers

Glatzel has shown he's got the potential to step up. Ward should get another deal, useful off the bench. Paterson is about as much a striker as i'm Kylie Minogue's secret lover.. Vassell hs been unfortunate with injuries. The way he reacted when breaking down again shows he's hardly a sicknote looking for the money only, really cared. IF ( and it's a big if ) he can get fit and stay fit then could be a good player - just curious that he gets stick yet Tomlin gets far less. We definitely need a striker though.

Overall, we've a solid enough squad lacking in pace and creativity. I can easily see a fair few being shipped out, if there are any takers. I think we're realistically a frew transfer windows away from here Harris wants us to be.

• Good Football Post Good Football Post x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  8. Dicky Davies

Dicky Davies Wales Call Up
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +283 / 2 / -1
    Would try to move on Pack and Flint, although we would likely have to take a financial hit. I like Whyte and think/ hope he will become a decent player for us. Vassell has been unfortunate so don't know what he could offer. I would sell Etheridge . Think Cunningham will come good for us, would like to see a decent right back in and creative midfielder. Our wingers are quality on their day but would not be surprised to see any one of them leave if a decent offer comes in.

9. Cymro84

Cymro84 Club and Country Superstar
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +855 / 12 / -1
    So you wouldn’t have TAA starting in our side? :sherlock:

10. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic First Team Debut

Ratings:
    +132 / 5 / -6
    It depends what you're looking for in a full back. I prefer them to defend first and foremost, if they can give you attacking options then great. TAA is great going forward, average defensively. As I said, the role has changed in the modern game, young FBs are now acting more like wing backs, here onus is more attack minded.