1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today’s game

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Travis Bickle, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Cityfella

Cityfella Club and Country Superstar

Ratings:
    +467 / 29 / -4
    In other words no plan b :hehe:I'm still trying to work out plan a

2. Whitts Left Peg

Whitts Left Peg Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +1,283 / 81 / -23
    So is Colin

• Agree Agree x 1

3. Ainsley Harriott

Ainsley Harriott Give your meat a good ol' rub
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +3,004 / 87 / -8
    Plan A is:

Launch Murphy, Reid & Paterson forward, and have Gunnar, Arter & Camoranesi holding forever.

Then bring on Madine, Hoillett & Ward to "change the game"...

January needs to be fucking spectacular to keep us in this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

4. TDA

TDA slightly clapped out ninja
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +4,373 / 130 / -11
    I do think it will be too late by January and we would be throwing good money after bad. Far better to accept the folly of this season, don't get tempted into signing more Madines in January. The money will go further in the summer, so rebuild for a proper assault on the Championship next season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Good Football Post Good Football Post x 1

5. Joecity

Joecity Ballon d'Or Winner
    ***GOLD MEMBER*** PICKEM World Cup 1st

Ratings:
    +9,673 / 127 / -21
    I think we'll have a new manager next year so just save the most part of any budget for him. Of course if there is any sniff of staying up then you have to try and take it. It could be looking pretty grim by Jan 1 though.

• Agree Agree x 1

6. Barry Shitpeas

Barry Shitpeas Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +2,142 / 23 / -4
    And then what?

I understand what you’re saying but getting promoted from the Championship is really fucking hard. If we come back up, then we’ll just be back where we are now. We’ve already done that, surely we need to try as hard as we can to stay up and then build from there.

• Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

7. Bernie Clifton

Bernie Clifton First Team Regular

Ratings:
    +126 / 3 / -0
    It's a piece of piss. We've done it twice in recent years and we'll do it again if need be.

Up the fucking Bluebirds.

• Funny Funny x 1

8. Cityfella

Ratings:
    +467 / 29 / -4
    Should of brought in a new manager in the summer Fck sentiment..nw record in the epl reads failure ..nw wanted one more crack at the epl for his ego ..

9. Barry Shitpeas

Barry Shitpeas Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +2,142 / 23 / -4
    That’s really unfair. Neil Warnock did an incredible job getting this team promoted automatically, he more than deserves a crack at trying to stay up. It’s not his fault that he’s not been given any where near the budget needed to achieve that.

10. Cityfella

Ratings:
    +467 / 29 / -4
    We're still a striker and a rb short this is down to Warnocks recruitment.. did we really need smithies and Cunningham before these positions ..Warnock had all the praise for getting us promoted last season ..as soon as this season started he gets judged again as far as I'm concerned .. Up to now he's failing miserably..nw is very clever with his words and playing down our chances of survival ,he knows himself he can't cut it with the big boys no matter what budget he has

11. Hillyboy61

Hillyboy61 Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +370 / 5 / -2
    There are various consistent mistakes I see us making each week, which invariably lead to goals.
    When teams attack us our midfielders aren’t tracking back with the players (watch back the build up to any number of goals this year).
    Sol sometimes, but in particular, Bennett end up losing their player and being 2-3 yards away from the eventual goal scorer. Yesterday it was Bennett and you see him react too late again to the final pass.
    We give the ball away too much too often, wtf gunner was thinking at the kick off yesterday, hoofing it straight out for a goal kick didn’t even do Sunday League football justice. I know the fan base is divided on him with some saying he breaks up play. For me he has no technical ability on the ball and generally hoofs it or heads it anywhere in a panic. We don’t have enough players being calm on the ball under pressure.
    I’ve noticed a lot of play now comes down our left side. Looks like teams have sussed out Bennett’s weakness of giving too much space (I have been a big supporter of him too). Cunningham has looked a bag of nerves when he’s played and was returned to the bench pretty swiftly.
    Buying strikers and not playing them shows NW acknowledges he fucked up on those deals. Add to that £6m on a back up goal keeper and you look at who he’s spent on and the amount of time they play it’s been a lot of wasted money. Until he started selecting Reid and Murphy to start we had over £30m off the pitch by selection. Playing a converted fullback as your PL ball winning centre forward is a joke no matter how much effort the lad puts in.
    I know It wasn’t far short of miraculous getting promoted but there’s an awful lot of explaining needed for me on the 25 man squad and those he left out.
    We are playing games a bit more on the ground than we used to, but that is only due to having Arter and Camarasa in the side. Without them we’d be punting it 100% each game.
    It’s become frustrating to watch the same mistakes repeated week in week out and Hoiletts pass to (or past) Morrison wiped out all the pressure we were exerting, turned it to Leicester’s advantage and lost us those last minutes of the game.

• Good Football Post Good Football Post x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

12. Steve R

Steve R Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +6,925 / 405 / -41

This is post of the year. :thumbup:

EDIT : Just a tiny bit harsh on Gunnar.

• Like Like x 2

13. Joecity

Joecity Ballon d'Or Winner
    ***GOLD MEMBER*** PICKEM World Cup 1st

Ratings:
    +9,673 / 127 / -21
    The summer recruitment was poor. It really hasn't helped either that a few of our players just haven't bothered to show up this year. I'm looking at you Ken. And you Junior.

• Agree Agree x 3

14. Vimto

Vimto Ballon d'Or Winner

Ratings:
    +1,817 / 25 / -27
    Sadly seems so Joe.

Why would players just not want to turn up. Especially in this League.
    What has gone wrong for them? Confidence?
    JH seemed to take an age accepting his contract back in the summer, and seemed distracted by something then :shrug2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1

15. Nugent

Nugent Poster of the year 2018
    ***GOLD MEMBER*** PICKEM 17/18 - 2nd Place

Ratings:
    +5,476 / 861 / -145
    I'm only guessing here, but Malky, the last time we were promoted, got guzumped on a host of signings, Capoue , wanyama, there were a couple more , I wonder if that's what happened here.
    I imagine it's hard for newly promoted teams to attract the right stuff.

Swansea and Bournemouth did extremely well to stay up with non big names

• Agree Agree x 4

16. TDA

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +4,373 / 130 / -11
    It's easy to forget the precarious financial position of the club. FFP is not that far away. The investment in the squad this year was made with that in mind and, should we get relegated, that isn't going to be a factor. However, spending the sort of money we would have to in a January window to have any chance of survival could have dire consequences if we were still relegated.

Nobody expected us to get promoted last season and the club is in no way prepared for a realistic stay in the PL. This is all about some bonus money in the kitty, helping to square off the accounts.

For a proper tilt at the PL, there should have been a complete clear out in the summer, both players and management, maybe even the owner. £150m investment is the sort of budget which would have been sensible.

Nevertheless, I do agree that the manager and players who did so well you get us promoted against the odds last year deserved the chance of a season in the PL.

By making that choice, however, it was a doomed adventure from the start.

• Agree Agree x 1

17. TDA

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +4,373 / 130 / -11
    We have only three players close to PL class, Etheridge, Arter and Camarasa and two of those are on loan. Murphy maybe in time.

The rest have serious weaknesses to their game, which have been exposed by those players, even with the "lower" PL clubs .... Donkey Vokes scoring against us FFS.

The limitations of Morrison, Bamba and Bennett have been quickly exposed. Bruno is doing his best, but is out of position.

Right now, I am wondering whether the decision to sideline Pilkington and Tomlin was so clever after all?

• Agree Agree x 1

18. Lawnmower

Lawnmower Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -0

Where did you get £6n for Smithies from.
    Some good points , but no need for the exaggerations.

In general, in relation to this whole thread
    I’m amazed reading the negativity on here this morning.
    2 weeks ago after the Fulham game there was overreaction about how good we were , now it’s swung the other way.

We weren’t great yesterday on a strange day, but we haven’t become a bad side overnight and could easily have got a point again.

We are probably the cheapest, lowest paid side in the division and are still in with a shout.

Yes, there are weaknesses in the squad and we need 3-4 players to get to the level we’d like to be at, but certainly no need to panic yet.

19. Hillyboy61

Hillyboy61 Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +370 / 5 / -2
    So often I’m tempted to utter the same comments on Pilks and Tomlin. Pilks will run his arse into the ground and deserved to be in the squad ahead of Harris for me. His goals at the end of the season kept our promotion alive and deserved better recognition from NW. Tomlin, wtf have you done to be his marquee signing and never be in his plans??

20. Hillyboy61

Hillyboy61 Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +370 / 5 / -2
    Because I thiught that’s what we paid for him. Not exaggerating. If the figure is wrong it’s wrong, but we certainly spent millions on him not just a couple hundred K.
    In reference to the don’t panic. I’m not panicking I’m saying I’m getting irritated with seeing the same stupid parks level mistakes being made each week by professionals on £20k to £30k a week. I’m also saying I find it bizarre that NW buys a number of players for a few million each (minimum) and doesn’t play them. That’s not panic it’s measured observation. I’ve always said with what we have and how we came up, if we finish 17th or above I’ll be more than happy. But doing sweet FA about the same mistakes each week is piss poor at this level. I support the side and the management, but it would be nice to see repetitive errors eradicated