1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today’s game

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by Travis Bickle, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Lawnmower

Lawnmower Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -0
    Of course it did.

Abraham, chose Villa over us ffs
    The lad Bournemouth bought from Spain for £26m, Warnock offered £8m
    Brookes- prices out again by Bournemouth
    Mitrovic- would have been great, but we were nowhere near in wages or valuation

Many others just didn’t think we’d stay up, so went to clubs where they wouldn’t even get a game unless there were injuries

Priced out or lost out in Gayle, Robson, Deeney, Gray

Maybe we could have saved a few million by not buying Smithies or Cunningham but Warnock saw these as value and got them early on small fees to cover positions where we needed it.

Should have gone 3-4 others, but that’s £40-£80m we haven’t got.

• Good Football Post Good Football Post x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1

2. Lawnmower

Lawnmower Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -0
    It’s an important point though, if you are making out Warnock has wasted his budget.

Here’s a good place for finding out fees https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-smithies/transfers/spieler/33754

£3.6m

We needed a decent back up keeper, surely no one can argue with that and this guy is highly rated and a bargain according to QPR fans.

Buying Smithies has nothing to do with yesterday’s poor result.

3. Cityfella

Cityfella Club and Country Superstar

Ratings:
    +467 / 29 / -4
    Did we really need cover at left back and a keeper..I would of thought getting a right back and striker in was more important than cover ..as for losing out on players maybe they didn't fancy playing the Warnock way .

• Agree Agree x 1

4. Hillyboy61

Hillyboy61 Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +370 / 5 / -2
    Appreciate a decent back up keeper is needed, but If he’s spending money on outfield summer transfers for us to step up to the PL and chooses not to play them for the first few games, it’s a wasted purchase. Personally I think he bottled the opening three games and should have played Camarasa, Reid and Murphy from the off. I think he would have caught Howe, Benitez and what’s his name at Huddersfield completely off guard. Every pundits comment at the start of the season was “you know what to expect from a NW team” those three games had a chance of points written all over them for me.
    But this is football after all! :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote

5. Lawnmower

Lawnmower Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -0

Definitely needed a 2nd keeper.
    Before anything else really.

As for cover at left back, yes as we got shown up when Bennett was injured. Remember Peltier and Connolly playing there ? We have also got 2 other right backs, Peltier and Richards.

I’d expect Richards would be first choice, but he’s constantly injured, Manga has come in and done well mostly, Peltier did OK last year, but has struggled with the step up and is also now injured, so I can see why left back took priority.

As for strikers, it looks like Warnock tried, but no decent target wanted to come.

The problem we seem to have is our best striker has no heart and our most expensive one has lost all confidence.

We are at a massive disadvantage as we don’t seem to have any foreign coaching network.

What helped Swansea immensely when they first went up were a handful of decent signings from Spain and Holland

6. Lawnmower

Lawnmower Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -0
    Without checking Im not sure, but I seem to remember Camerasa wasn’t fit when he first signed.

Reid started at Bournemouth

Camerasa and Murphy started at Huddersfield
    And against Newcastle

2 of those games we really should have won.

Although I take your point that it seemed to take a while to settle on our best side, not helped by injuries to Murphy , Gunnar, NML, Arter, Ward etc...

7. TDA

TDA slightly clapped out ninja
    ***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +4,373 / 130 / -11
    I firmly believe agents looked at Cardiff City in the summer and advised against it as a career move. Form can be lost very quickly, when playing in a struggling side and reputations and therefore future earnings potential even quicker.

Looks like the agents were not far wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2

8. Cityfella

Ratings:
    +467 / 29 / -4
    I take your point with a keeper but maybe a loan move for a second choice keeper would of made more sense

Pelts and Richards no where near good enough to play in the epl

Our most expensive striker a Warnock buy is shit and was shit when we bought

Leaving Tomlin and pilks out of the squad was a mistake

Warnock is out of his depth no matter how many excuses fans make for him ..granted we had a small budget but it wasn't spent wisely

Finally fans are starting to see through the bullshit this guy talks in the media

Ty nw for what you achieved last season time to move along now and give us a chance of survival

• Interesting Interesting x 1

9. Lawnmower

Lawnmower Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -0
    So Warnock wasted money on Madine. He also got Bamba, Hoillet, Etheridge, NML all for next to nothing. Plus he got a lot of the others playing way above their levels before he came... Ralls, Morrison, Bennett, Zohore ...

He got us up on a shoestring and is tasked with keeping us up with little more.

Hard to believe that there are any fans sting he should go. It’s crazy.

Mind you, there was a guy on 5 live saying Houghton should go from Brighton.

Just seems to me that there’s a lot of football fans who’ve lost touch with reality

• Good Football Post Good Football Post x 1
    • Absolutely Spot On Absolutely Spot On x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

10. TDA

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +4,373 / 130 / -11
    I think the club should (and will) stand by NW for the season. Every supporter should have known what to expect this season, given the financial path the club chose (or were forced) to take.

Relegation no doubt would be a disappointment to the club, but it wouldn't be regarded as devastating. The coffers will be looking healthier and we will still have a better squad come the end of this season.

• Agree Agree x 1

11. Cityfella

Ratings:
    +467 / 29 / -4
    The reality is Warnock can't cut it at the top his track record proves that
    Not sure that he got players playing above the level .. more to do with a style of football that works in the championship

11 games in ..5 points and only 1 win shall we just keep pretending everything is rosy just because what he achieved last season

12. Lawnmower

Lawnmower Wales Regular

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -0

That style of football kept clubs like Wimbledon, Stoke and West Brom up for years , with players who would have gone down playing any other way. Didn’t work last year for Millwall, Bolton or Birmingham who all played a similar style.

For me these are lazy comments.

We aren’t down yet and I’m not convinced we will go down either.

I’m amazed that there are some who appear to be ready to throw the towel in or bow to the crap we get from the press and pundits already.

2 weeks who all I was reading was how good we were.

I’m ready for some more overreaction next Saturday

13. Cityfella

Ratings:
    +467 / 29 / -4
    You have never read a comment by me saying how good we were ...as soon as we got promoted I thought nw was not up to the job..up until now nothing has changed my opinion..as for throwing the towel in Warnock himself is doing a good job of that in every interview

14. TDA

***GOLD MEMBER***

Ratings:
    +4,373 / 130 / -11
    The style of play may have worked in the past, but the PL teams have greatly improved over recent years and can effectively neutralise it.