1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was that really Cardiff City knocking the ball around at Deepdale?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City Forum' started by the other bob wilson, 28 Jun 2020.

1. Nugent

Nugent Roland Nuggles
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ PICKEM 17/18 - 2nd Place 🏁🏁🏁 50 PAGER 🏁🏁🏁 "Most Normal Person"

Ratings:
    +23,086 / 2,958 / -1,150
    @Feedback

Is this the bob you're looking for bruv

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. BSP

BSP Ballon d'Or Winner
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +13,989 / 178 / -26
    Great read as always :thumbup:

Regarding the bit about Harris not starting our ‘strongest’ line up. Whenever a manager brings players on and they change the game as effectively as has happened in our last two outings, you inevitably get fans calling for those players to be in the starting line up.

The argument is of course, start with a strong line up, get yourself ahead, then bolster your midfield / defence and see the game out or, what has happened in these two games.

I think what has allowed us to set up like we have, is how well our back four have played and how fit we’ve been (probably what allowed us to play a bit of football yesterday too). That means that in both games, while we’ve been largely ineffective up front, the opposition has not caused our defence any real problems. We then see the effectiveness of bringing on potentially game changing players after an hour or so.

I guess the question now is, do we stick with what we’ve been doing or swap it round?

• Good Football Post Good Football Post x 4
  3. the other bob wilson

the other bob wilson Club and Country Superstar
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +942 / 7 / -1
    Some great points made there BSP. Someone has just replied to me on Twitter saying that Bacuna was struggling with cramp towards the end of the match, so should we expect changes for Tuesday? It's a run in of midweek/weekend games from now on, so I think they may have a point. You have to wonder about Adomah now given Neil Harris' post match comments and a home game against a team below us in the table would be a signal for Neil Warnock to pick Tomlin - I reckon Harris could do the same for one of the midfield three. Glatzel for Paterson as well perhaps, but then you're back to the argument that those three players are serving us better at the moment by coming off the bench.

• Good Football Post Good Football Post x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe

Arfur Ap Llewellyn Europe Ballon d'Or Winner
    💎💎 DIAMOND 💎💎 🏆 GOLD 🏆 👥 GTAM WINNER 👥 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +14,566 / 421 / -143
    I stay with the maxim of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The subs coming off the bench have worked in both games so far and Glatzel and NML both seem to thrive against tired defences.

If it doesn't work against Charlton, then perhaps look at it afterwards.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to view full quote
  5. BSP

BSP Ballon d'Or Winner
    ❷ 2 YEARS ❷ 🗐 10 PAGER 🗐

Ratings:
    +13,989 / 178 / -26
    From a fans point of view it’s much better for the nerves when we play this way. As we all know as a city fan you rarely feel comfortable when we’ve got a one or two goal lead and we try and sit back and defend.

It feels like a rare luxury for us to have a starting line up that is capable of keeping a game tight and then having arguably better players to come on.

Of course opposition teams will be dong their homework and we might see them trying to come out and have a proper go at us early on, but wether they are fit and capable enough for it to work is another matter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SloopJB

SloopJB Ballon d'Or Winner
    🏆 GOLD 🏆 ❷ 2 YEARS ❷

Ratings:
    +1,181 / 18 / -1
    Good read as always Paul.
    I think Harris has got it right and it seems to me that the players are buying right into it. I have always thought Tomlin gives so much more to us as an impact player/coming off the bench. It seems, his positioning, deft touches and passing ability causes the opposing defence to change shape or get pulled out of position once he has the ball. The move that produced NML's goal was class.
    As stated above 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. Hopefully an unchanged team against Charlton. Though i fear this will be a totally different game, where Charlton will not set up to attack us like Leeds and Preston who were eager for the points. Charlton seemed to have pulled slightly away from the danger since resumptions, and a draw away from home would be deemed a result. Therefore we may see a slightly different starting 11 on tuesday, though i hope not.
    SJB

• Good Football Post Good Football Post x 2